cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media messages help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone enlighten me as to what a media message is, I have just noticed that I have been billed an extra £1.87 for media messages , I have checked the numbers stated and can honestly say the messages were text message and not media, anyone else having this issue. Tried contacting O 2 but surprise surprise network down.

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

A media message can be a number of things including forwarding a business card(vcf in most cases) or a picture.  Sending a voice message in reply to a text... etc etc etc.  Also, replying to certain promo messages can be classed as a media message i.e. a 66*** number. 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

A media message can be a number of things including forwarding a business card(vcf in most cases) or a picture.  Sending a voice message in reply to a text... etc etc etc.  Also, replying to certain promo messages can be classed as a media message i.e. a 66*** number. 

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just checked and the media message it says I have sent were definatley text messages sent to a group from a contacts list. My conrtact states I get free texts so i feel I have been duped.

Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any international contacts on there?

Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

might be worth checking that you have mms reception set to manual so that u dont auto download & get charged; worth also setting the "Allow adverts" to No.

Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

What handset do you have?

Message 6 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Group text messages are sent as MMS due to the number of characters involved....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 19

su65
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been charged media messages for months. just informed by o2 that text messaages longer than 60 charactures are charged as media messages. my texts are unlimited but my phone bills are dear because i send long texts. one charge was for sending a 3 characture text which said 'fb?' nothing in contract to say this. media messages are supose to be picture messages not long texts or messages that contain an email address or name(also informed this is a media message)

Message 9 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Text messages can be up to 164 characters. If you go over that some handsets break it down for example by S4 allows up to 492 characters and auto splits into 3 texts but over that it goes to MMS.

Are you including smiley faces as some styles of these are picked up as little pictures and as such become MMS.

What handset are you using?
Message 10 of 19