cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked in by 30 day Simplicity tariff?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, 

I've recently been trying to upgrade to an iPhone 6 from my 5, which I have had with O2 since release day (21st Sept 2012).  On the 21st August I took an 'early upgrade' to a rolling 30day Simplicity tariff to run out the final month a bit cheaper when waiting for the iPhone6 release - which is exactly the same as I did when upgrading from the iPhone 4 to the 5 a couple of years previous.

After missing the initial rush on pre-order I decided to wait it out a few weeks until stocks were back and prices had stabilised.  On trying to upgrade through CPW a few weeks ago, I found their system telling me I was not eligible for upgrade at that time (certainly past the initial contract expiry date).  After digging through O2 and the CPW headoffice, it was determined that the issue was with the CPW system 'locking' my account down due to it seeing some upgrade activity (regardless of this being a 30 day sim only 'upgrade).  They suggested returning after 3 months of holding the Simplicity as it should then allow me to upgrade.

I returned over the weekend and have been given the same answer - I am not eligible for upgrade.  Thinking I may just carry the upgrade through O2 direct, I logged into my account today to find out that I now cannot even upgrade directly.  My account is showing that I can carry out another sim-only upgrade, but I am not eligible to upgrade to a Refresh tariff until after 20th Feb 2015!!!  Seemingly my sim-only change has locked me down for 6 months.....not much of a 30day contract there then!!

I have spoken to an online chat helper this morning who tells me there is a 'technical issue with my account' and that I should be eligible.  Due to the comments on here about the chat helpers being 3rd party and generally unreliable, I wanted to run this through here to see if anyone else has had similar issues?  Any suggestions?

I'm seriously tempted to just cancel and run, but O2 really has given me the best reception in my area for the past 4 years and I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire......a new contract is the other option, but i've read an O2 to O2 number port is not possible/hard work...

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

As promised, a quick update for you!

O2 seemingly had a problem on my account details and corrected the "Upgrades" area so it would allow me to upgrade to a new device.  Unfortunately the CPW upgrade checker was telling me I was uneligible.

After some digging, we found that my name details were incorrect on the O2 website (letters missing from both first and last names).  It appears that this may have changed in the last week or so as the CPW upgrade checker was telling me I was un-eligibe for upgrade up until the end of last week, then changed to telling me there had "been a problem"......I dont know if O2 have upgrade something/moved a database across, but either way I find it quite bizarre that my normal details have been used in the past then suddenly they're wrong....

Either way, if I enter these incorrect details into the CPW checker it allows me to upgrade, which I have done.  Once i've recieved this, I will speak to O2 and get my details corrected.

Cheers for any help!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

you would need to move from a sim only to refresh if via O2 direct. 

Contact them on 202. 

Or start a new contract with CPW and move your telephone number to the new contract. 

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

But surely the O2 online store should allow me to upgrade?  The online chat helper told me she was also seeing the same February date as my allowable upgrade date so surely calling CS on 202 will give me the same answer.......

What i'm trying to understand is why a 30day rolling contract has locked me upgrade full stop.  Before I carried out this sim-only change, I could have taken out a new phone deal without an issue, but seemingly, 3 months after taking this out I am now locked down until February.....a total of 6 months for a 30day 'contract'.

I understand that I can only take out the Refresh plan with O2 direct, and that this is the 'downside' to upgrade via CPW or another 3rd party, but there is currently £90 difference between upfront costs on the replacement phone so I am tending towards CPW.....but if the O2 system won't even let me upgrade, theres no chance at all that the CPW system will!!

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

live chat is outsourced non UK call centres. 

202 is UK who may be able to help further. 

With cpw yes no refresh but as long as a credit check is not an issue you could open a new contract and then after its opened move your current mobile O2 number to it. 

Message 4 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
As you say, you should be able to upgrade now and I can see no reason why you can't.
It is best to call 202 and speak to CS rather than live chat though as it may be something they need to do on your account to unlock it.
02 to 02 number swaps should also be painless if you choose the new contract route - Many did this at launch of the iPhone 6 to get one quicker.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
May I just say -> If your wanting the iPhone 6 and not having the refresh tariff isn't a deal breaker then you may be better going with CPW due to recent stock delays we've heard on here via 02 or at least go into an O2 shop which gives you a better chance of walking out with the phone.
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks both.

Although the Refresh would be nice to have, in reality i'd probably not take advantage of the ability to pay off my phone earlier, I tend to run out 2 years anyway.  I certainly wouldn't see the benefit enough to justify the £90 difference in initial outlay, so CPW will be my choice.....but I obviously cannot run the upgrade through them until the O2 'problem' is sorted.

A new contract is the only other option, and as it appears that the O2-O2 number port is actually straight forward now (it seemed impossible on another thread I read) then it will proabbyl be that route I take.

Message 7 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

A new contract is the only other option, and as it appears that the O2-O2 number port is actually straight forward now (it seemed impossible on another thread I read) then it will proabbyl be that route I take.

There was one person who had problems but I believe they were due to the fact that the account was in a different name to the one they wanted to transfer the number to.

Just make sure, via UK CS, that you don't owe any cancellation fees (you shouldn't) and then you can go via either route to get the phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome @Anonymous

Would you let us know how you get on please ?
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course.

Thanks again both, i'll keep you posted!

Message 10 of 16