Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is There a Charge For Unanswered Calls?

airsgian
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a basic mobile phone that I keep for emergencies on my bike. Today I got a new phone as I decided to retire the old 20 year old Nokia!

When I had changed the sim over to the new phone, I rang my home number to check that it was working but cancelled the call immediately I heard the ringing. Therefore, the call was not connected. I noticed that I seem to have been charged for that call.

Is this right? Are you charged for an unanswered call by o2?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No you wouldn't be charged unless the call connected.
If you have data enabled you may be charged for background data use though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No you wouldn't be charged unless the call connected.
If you have data enabled you may be charged for background data use though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for the clarification on this point @MI5 

@airsgian I'm not surprised your old Nokia has only just been retired, those things were built to last! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 10

airsgian
  • 16 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification on this point @MI5 

@airsgian I'm not surprised your old Nokia has only just been retired, those things were built to last! 

It certainly was! I only use the phone for emergencies on my bike and it had fallen out the saddle bag a few times. On one occasion it ended up in pieces in the middle of the road and I had to put it back together again in the pouring rain. Still worked fine tho! However, it was getting a bit difficult to read the screen as it was so badly scratched!

Message 4 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@airsgian If your phone was that old, and you now have a new phone with a data plan, you probably need a new 4G sim card. You can go into any O2 store and they will swap your details to a new sim, or have you already done that?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

They won't do it for free... (or am i wrong?)

Message 6 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
They will - new sim won't cost you anything. Or putting it into the phone.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 10

airsgian
  • 16 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@airsgian If your phone was that old, and you now have a new phone with a data plan, you probably need a new 4G sim card. You can go into any O2 store and they will swap your details to a new sim, or have you already done that?

I dont think this is a 4G phone. It is very basic. Anyway, the old SIM worked fine.

Message 8 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Okay @airsgian. Just wanted to make sure you had all your bases covered. Make sure you go into your settings on your new phone and check that your mobile data is switched off so you don't get charged for any apps that may try to update in the background. You can also program many new phones to update only via WiFi.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@airsgian Yep lol I don't think there is many things that can damage an old Nokia! The old green screens were a bit tricky to read in the sun I found but apart from that they were fantastic. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 10