cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection in Mercedes C Class

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, my car has the ability to connect to the internet through my Iphone 6  pay monthly. The car pairs with the phone using bluetooth no problem, and making and receiving calls is fine. The issue comes when i try to connect to the internet. The message is 'Data communication is temporarily unavailable'. This also happens with my work samsun phone also on O2. But with the Mercedes dealership, we got all different phones on all different networks to work with no problem. It is purely O2. Mercedes say they are not aware of anything, so i am trying so far unsuccessfully to get some thoughts or answers from O2.

Message 1 of 92
91 REPLIES 91

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I assume the garage has checked that all the latest updates are installed in the vehicle?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 41 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they put the diagnositics on it last week. I am now trying to contact Merc Technical division in Milton Keynes..

Message 42 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, agreed do seem to be on catch up. But the link below states it should work with both phones...

http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/gb/en/w205:2014-05:2014-08/finder/~bt/

Message 43 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm very late joining this conversation but I have exactly the same problem except I have an HTC One M8 Android phone on the O2 Network.  My car is the new Mercedes C-Class with Command Online.  As described by the original post on this thread, my phone connects to the car via Bluetooth and the phone allows internet connection for the car via Bluetooth tethering. With my O2 SIM card intalled the car cannot connect to the internet. If I swap the SIM for an EE SIM card, same phone, same car, the connection to the internet works. 

To check the Bluetooth tethering of my phone with the O2 SIM card inserted, I connected a second phone via Bluetooth to mine to see if my phone would share its' internet connection with another device other than my car and it does work.

So to summarise:
Car-> Bluetooth Tether -> Phone -> O2 SIM -x No internet connection

Car-> Bluetooth Tether -> Phone -> EE SIM -> Good internet connection

Other device -> Bluetooth Tether -> Phone -> O2 SIM -> Good internet connection.

But, if my phone is connected to my home WiFi router then the car will then connect to the internet via my phones Bluetooth tether: 

Car -> Bluetooth Tether -> Phone -> WiFi -> Home router -> BT Broadband -> Good Internet Connection.
(Obviously this only works when the car is parked outside my house).

The only thing I can think of is some kind of routing problem via the O2 Network. But does O2 or Mercedes set this up? 

Sorry I don't have a solution yet.

Message 44 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just had an online chat with O2 Guru Nitish about this as my iphone 6 on O2 will not connect and he has said that O2 will not connect the internet to any cars.

So it looks like the end of the line - get a new provider unless someone has a workaround?

Message 45 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, buchananian.

When I spoke to someone at O2 customer services they never told me that, just said that everything should be working. Typical dis-jointed approach to things and obviously not everyone who works there knows what they are doing or talking about.

If this really is their policy then they are increasingly going to have a dwindling number of customers.

Message 46 of 92

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

But why would anybody believe Live Chat's Nitish rather than anyone else in O2 ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 47 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that the answer to this is that as far as I can see no one can connect a phone using O2 to get internet on Command Online. Please advise if anyone out there can do this.

Message 48 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting development, last night I got my iPhone 6 on O2 to provide an internet connection here in the UK.
The only difference to my previous attempts that all failed was that this was the first time I had tried to connect over 4G, I was in a fairly strong 4G signal area in Thurrock near the M25, I tried several of the Mercedes Benz apps and they all worked.
I drove off towards central London on the M25/A127 where the signal changed to 3G the connection carried on I was listening to Internet radio streaming from the US, I managed to listen for some 6 miles until my phone rang and the connection eventually dropped.(Long phone call)
I subsequently tried again the phone had reasonable 3G signal but the connection just timed out as per usual.
I can make no conclusions from this only that O2 do not stop car use as has been stated elsewhere, I will try again next week when I am near the same location.

Message 49 of 92

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting development, last night I got my iPhone 6 on O2 to provide an internet connection here in the UK.
The only difference to my previous attempts that all failed was that this was the first time I had tried to connect over 4G, I was in a fairly strong 4G signal area in Thurrock near the M25, I tried several of the Mercedes Benz apps and they all worked.
I drove off towards central London on the M25/A127 where the signal changed to 3G the connection carried on I was listening to Internet radio streaming from the US, I managed to listen for some 6 miles until my phone rang and the connection eventually dropped.(Long phone call)
I subsequently tried again the phone had reasonable 3G signal but the connection just timed out as per usual.
I can make no conclusions from this only that O2 do not stop car use as has been stated elsewhere, I will try again next week when I am near the same location.

Tbnanks for updasting on this @Anonymous . Its a very interesting issue and I'll be eager to see how you get on with another try. Do let us know and I'll help if I can.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 50 of 92