cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Roaming and Whats it all about.

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Welcome to the O2 Community!

If you need any advice, go ahead and create a forum post HERE

** Please read the following amendments to the article that allows for EU Roaming changes on the 15th June.

Roaming and what’s it about?

Roaming is when you are no longer able to Pick Up your home Network (O2-UK). This is normally when you are in another country. However, it is possible to pick up French Network when in UK and the Irish Networks when you’re still in Northern Ireland.  But if your phone is displaying anything else besides O2-UK or BT Cellnet (On Some Older Phones), then you are Roaming on a Foreign Network and Roaming Charges will apply if Services are used.

Is O2-DE the same as O2-UK?

The answer is no. O2-DE is a completely independent business to O2-UK and therefore Roaming Charges would apply.

O2-DE (O2 Germany) and O2-UK (O2 United Kingdom) are both Parts of the Telefonica Group, but this is all and is 2 Separate businesses

Do I need to Activate Roaming?

If you are an O2 PAYG Customer then Roaming is activated automatically as you can only spend what you have in Credit.

O2 Contract customers may need to call 202 to confirm they have Roaming Activated on their account if they have never used the service before or had issues in the past.

How does Roaming Work?

When you travel outside your Home Network, your Mobile Phone Sim will ask the Roaming (Foreign) network first if it can use the services on their Network. (You IMEI number of your phone is also sent to verify it’s not the Stolen / Missing Database as well)

The Foreign Network will take details from your Sim card and go back to the International Centre and check if O2 has an agreement first to use the Network and then if the Sim card is activated to use the Roaming. (This is why there is a delay sometimes in first switching on your mobile to you getting a signal and a Network Name)

If all comes back ok, then the Sim will receive instruction and you notice the Roaming Network Name shown on your phone.

What you may not know is that when the phone is authorised to use the Roaming Network, It is given a temporary allocated foreign number of the country you are visiting.

So you may have someone calling you and they may notice that the Ring tone suddenly sounds different in their Earpiece and not like the UK Ring. This is because of the Foreign Number allocated and that you are roaming on their Countries Network.

One this you will never know though is the Temporary Roaming Number as this is only a Forward number and changes.

So what charges do you pay for when roaming?

• Making Calls?                     Yes you pay for all of the Call.
  • Receiving Calls?                                Yes you pay for the Roaming country Inbound Part of the Call.
  • Sending a SMS?                                Yes you pay to send a SMS.
  • Receiving a SMS?             No it’s free to receive a SMS.
  • Sending a MMS?              Yes you pay to send a MMS.
  • Receiving a MMS?           You may be charged for Data Usage to receive the MMS ( I never have on O2, But I know other UK networks charge)
  • Data Usage                         Is all chargeable

The Person who is Calling or Texting you from the UK.

This is where a lot of confusion becomes and people become worried regarding charges.

Simple Fact to Remember:

Even though the person you are contacting is abroad. You are still only calling their UK Mobile Number. So treat it as they are still in the UK.

So for example:

If you have free UK Text allowance, it will still be Free (Your Texting a UK Mobile Number)

If you have Free UK Minutes, then again you are calling a UK Mobile Number, so it will use your UK Minutes Allowance.

If you don’t have Free Allowances, then you will be charged at your normal standard Rate of ringing the UK or Texting a UK Mobile number

A couple of Questions and Answers that may come in useful:

Q)   I’m abroad and my friend is abroad, will I be charged to contact my friend as I’m only calling a UK Mobile number

A)   Yes, even though you are calling a UK Mobile Number. You are not in the UK and the person you are calling isn’t, so you will pay the Roaming Charges to make the call and the person who is receiving the call will pay the inbound part of the charge. If you’re roaming in our Europe Zone this will be included within your UK allowance; within countries included in O2 Travel, this will activate the £4.99 fee. More information here and here

Q)   Why am I charged twice for Voice Mail Messages?

A)   When someone tries to contact you and you don’t answer, the call is then passed back to the O2-UK voice mail as a return call, So you pay for the Return part of the call even though you didn’t answer your Mobile. Then when you want to listen to your voice mail, you pay to make the call and listen to it. So this is where Double Charges apply

Q)   Why are inbound SMS free when I’m abroad?

A)   This was set by the EU Telecoms Parliament, that any EU Mobile Company must allow their users to allow incoming SMS for Free anywhere in the world.

Q)   What is the Difference between Roaming and Home Networks?

A)   Your home network is on your network where you purchased the Sim from. So if you purchased your Sim card in the UK and from O2, your home network would be O2-UK and you would be allocated a UK Mobile number.

Roaming is when you are no longer on your home network. So, for example, you go to Spain and you pick up Telefonica ES. This means you are Roaming on a Spanish Network.

If you have any other questions please ask and I will gladly try to answer them and will keep editing the 1st thread to make it easier for everyone to read.

244 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I had exactlly the same thing. When in the Canaries and France I automatically connected to a signal in Norway which is not covered by O2 Travel. There is no way I can identify which network I'm connected to. I also had the same reply from O2 and the charges I incurred were still charged to me.

This is totally unacceptable to me and I think that O2 Travel is a waste of time.

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
That's your opinion to which you are entitled to, but for balance, if understood and used correctly, it offers excellent value for money, in my opinion.......
Out of interest, what phone do you have that doesn't tell you what network you are connected to?
jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The Canaries are a helluva way from Norway, must be a strong signal to override Moviestar!

Always use manualnetwork selecton when roaming to stop this happening.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey im going to Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria, Spain on Saturday for a week, i have a Galaxy S5 on contract and will need to make a few calls back to N.ireland when im away but dont wanna get hit with big charges when i get back. Whats the best thing to do? Do i have to call 02 on 202 to make them aware or any special settings i need to change on my phone? I checked MYO2 and i have O2 Travel Bolt On Added to my account.

Thanks in advance slight_smile

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

As long as O2 Travel is active you need do nothing else. Have a look at the international pages for costs.

Cleoriff
  • 122803 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Also make sure you turn voicemail and mobile data off before you fly. Use Wifi where possible.

Make sure the friends you are ringing in Ireland are in your contacts list/phonebook.Trying to contact them by manually keying in their phone number often results in failure (or number has not been assigned message)

Have a great holiday wink

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Switch the phone to manual network selection and make sure you are connected to a European network at all times.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am going to Egypt next year will it cost me to phone uk I have unlimited mins n texts ?
MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Yes it will.
Costs are here and lots of advice on forum about travel and saving money.
http://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub
jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes it will. Your allowances are for use only in the UK. See the international pages for charges.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why can I not connect my phone in new york. I am on pay as you go and usually it works abroad
Cleoriff
  • 122803 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Why can I not connect my phone in new york. I am on pay as you go and usually it works abroad

You say it usually works abroad? Is that in the States or EU?  You may have to do a manual search for a network that works for you.....

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

What phone are you using? Have you ever used the phone in NY before? Is it trying to connect to a network? Did you get the phone provisioned to work in the US, i.e. get set up for International Travel before you left the UK? If you're on Pay & Go and you do get the phone to work, your charges will be very high. If your phone is unlocked you'd be much better off using a local sim.

Anonymous
Not applicable
How doi get roaming while I aminTrinidad I am monthly but cannot text or phone while I am here
jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Try going into network settings and choose a different provider. 

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
If you are on contract you need to connect to TSTT network.
If you are PAYG unfortunately there is no roaming agreement so you can't use an O2 phone.
jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
If you are on contract you need to connect to TSTT network.
If you are PAYG unfortunately there is no roaming agreement so you can't use an O2 phone.

And there you have it....

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm travelling from the uk to malta on holiday in 2 weeks time and need to know how to avoid extra charges on my contract. I currently get minutes and texts and certain amount of data but don't want to run up a bill on top. The hotel we are booked into has wifi so can i connect to that and use facebook without extra charges???? If i can and need to adjust settings on my iphone 4s plz tell me how to do that, thanks in advance x

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darrengf wrote:

Roaming and what’s it about?

Roaming is when you are no longer able to Pick Up your home Network (O2-UK). This is normally when you are in another country. However it is possible to pick up French Network when in UK and the Irish Networks when you’re still in Northern Ireland.  But if you phone is displaying anything else beside O2-UK or BT Cellnet (On Some Older Phones), then you are Roaming on a Foreign Network and Roaming Charges will apply if Services are used.

Is O2-IE the same as O2-UK?

Answer is no. O2-IE is a completely independent business to O2-UK and therefore Roaming Charges would apply.

O2-IE (O2 Ireland) and O2-UK (O2 United Kingdom) are both Part of the Telefonica Group, but this is all and is 2 Separate businesses

Do I need to Activate Roaming?

If you are an O2 PAYG Customer then Roaming is activated automatically as you can only spend what you have in Credit.

O2 Contract customers may need to call 202 to confirm they have Roaming Activated on their account if they have never used the service before or had issues in the past.

How does Roaming Work?

When you travel outside your Home Network, your Mobile Phone Sim will ask the Roaming (Foreign) network first if it can use the services on their Network. (You IMEI number of your phone is also sent to verify it’s not the Stolen / Missing Database as well)

The Foreign Network will take details from your Sim card and go back to the International Centre and check if O2 has an agreement first to use the Network and then if the Sim card is activated to use the Roaming. (This is why there is a delay sometimes in first switching on your mobile to you getting a signal and a Network Name)

If all comes back ok, then the Sim will receive instruction and you notice the Roaming Network Name shown on your phone.

What you may not know is that when the phone is authorised to use the Roaming Network, It is given a temporary allocated foreign number of the country you are visiting.

So you may have someone calling you and they may notice that the Ring tone suddenly sounds different in their Earpiece and not like the UK Ring. This is because of the Foreign Number allocated and that you are roaming on their Countries Network.

One this you will never know though is the Temporary Roaming Number as this is only a Forward number and changes.

So what charges do you pay for when roaming?

• Making Calls?                     Yes you pay for all of the Call.
  • Receiving Calls?                                Yes you pay for the Roaming country Inbound Part of the Call.
  • Sending a SMS?                                Yes you pay to send a SMS.
  • Receiving a SMS?             No it’s free to receive a SMS.
  • Sending a MMS?              Yes you pay to send a MMS.
  • Receiving a MMS?           You may be charged for Data Usage to receive the MMS ( I never have on O2, But I know other UK networks charge)
  • Data Usage                         Is all chargeable

The Person who is Calling or Texting you from the UK.

This is where a lot of confusion becomes and people become worried regarding charges.

Simple Fact to Remember:

Even though the person you are contacting is abroad. You are still only calling their UK Mobile Number. So treat it as they are still in the UK.

So for example:

If you have free UK Text allowance, it will still be Free (Your Texting a UK mobile Number)

If you have Free UK Minutes, then again you are calling a UK Mobile Number, so it will use your UK Minutes Allowance.

If you don’t have Free Allowances, then you will be charged at your normal standard Rate of ringing a UK or Texting a UK Mobile number

Couple of Questions and Answers that may come in useful:

Q)   I’m abroad and my friend is abroad, will I be charged to contact my friend as I’m only calling a UK Mobile number

A)   Yes, even though you are calling a UK Mobile Number. You are not in the UK and the person you are calling isn’t, so you will pay the Roaming Charges to make the call and the person who is receiving the call will pay the inbound part of the charge

Q)   Why am I charged twice for Voice Mail Messages?

A)   When someone tries to contact you and you don’t answer, the call is then passed back to the O2-UK voice mail as a return call, So you pay for the Return part of the call even though you didn’t answer your Mobile. Then when you want to listen to your voice mail, you pay to make the call and listen to it. So this is where Double Charges apply

Q)   Why are inbound SMS free when I’m abroad?

A)   This was set by the EU Telecoms Parliament, that any EU Mobile Company must allow their users to allow incoming SMS for Free anywhere in the world.

Q)   What is the Difference between Roaming and Home Networks?

A)   Your home network is in your network where you purchased the Sim from. So if you purchased your Sim card in the UK and from O2, your home network would be O2-UK and you would be allocated a UK Mobile number.

Roaming is when you are no longer on your home network. So for example you go to Spain and you pick up Telefonica ES. This mean you are Roaming on a Spanish Network.

If you have any other questions please ask and I will gladly try to answer them and will keep editing the 1st thread to make it easier for everyone to read.

I'm travelling from the uk to malta on holiday in 2 weeks time and need to know how to avoid extra charges on my contract. I currently get minutes and texts and certain amount of data but don't want to run up a bill on top. The hotel we are booked into has wifi so can i connect to that and use facebook without extra charges???? If i can and need to adjust settings on my iphone 4s plz tell me how to do that, thanks in advance x

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Switch off mobile/cellular data in the settings and the will be no charges. If you are monthly account you can use TuGo for your allowances over wifi.

Cleoriff
  • 122803 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I go to Spain frequently and do exactly as Jonsie has said, using Wifi whenever I can.

Also turning off voicemail is a good tip.

I use Messenger to communicate with the family....If they want to phone me ...I dont mind the occasional 50p connection, because we then get an hour to chat...(well 59mins) wink

My bill is never much higher than normal with good management ...

Badcompany
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply Jonsie.  What about my PAYG iPhone 3GS being used in the USA?

Regards

Badco.

Badcompany
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, thank you for your help.  I understand there is no USA roaming agreemant with PAYG.

Regards

Peter.

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Standard Rates

Our Pay & Go customers will be charged at the following rate when calling or texting from this country.

Making a local call to landlines or mobiles will always be the same price as calling home when you're abroad.

Sending a picture message costs 25p and it's always free to receive a text.

When in:  United States of America (USA)     Calling:  United Kingdom (UK)

Landlines - per minute99p
Mobiles - per minute£1.49

Receiving calls - per minute99p
Sending texts - per message49p

Cost per MB of using data:

Data usage£6
Badcompany
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Jonsie,

Once again thank you.

So we can use a PAYG mobile in the USA.

Regards

Badco.

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes you can, I used P&G many times over the last 15 years in the US both East and west coast. Enjoy your trip.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Switch off mobile/cellular data in the settings and the will be no charges. If you are monthly account you can use TuGo for your allowances over wifi.

hi.

i am going on holiday soon and wanted to make sure there was no extra charges on my bill. i want to ensure that it can't even happen by mistake - if possible wink

i'm on an android phone, so i presume your advice is to pull down the drop down menu and tap 'Mobile Data' so that its nolonger lit?

is this the best way to do it? i'm scared that i might accidently turn it back on, you see, so was wondering if there was a better way.

i remember on an old iphone i had, i could change the Access Point Name to something that didn't exist but that was so long ago i cant remember how to do it.

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

hi.

i am going on holiday soon and wanted to make sure there was no extra charges on my bill. i want to ensure that it can't even happen by mistake - if possible wink

i'm on an android phone, so i presume your advice is to pull down the drop down menu and tap 'Mobile Data' so that its nolonger lit?

is this the best way to do it? i'm scared that i might accidently turn it back on, you see, so was wondering if there was a better way.

i remember on an old iphone i had, i could change the Access Point Name to something that didn't exist but that was so long ago i cant remember how to do it.

That is the best way to do it. I have no problem at all with accidentally switching it on using a Note 2 and I live in Thailand for at least 6 months a year. The only time you need to check is when rebooting the phone but mine never defaults to on.

If you want you can disable the app by going into the settings, connections, more networks, mobile networks, access point names.

If you are contact you can take the sim out completely and use TuGo either with no sim or a local network sim. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

hi.

That is the best way to do it. I have no problem at all with accidentally switching it on using a Note 2 and I live in Thailand for at least 6 months a year. The only time you need to check is when rebooting the phone but mine never defaults to on.

If you want you can disable the app by going into the settings, connections, more networks, mobile networks, access point names.

If you are contact you can take the sim out completely and use TuGo either with no sim or a local network sim. 

aah, good idea - take the sim out completely!

i'm going to have to call o2 to see if my phone is unlocked so that i can get a local sim but was wanting to swap back-and-forth between sims, just to check i had any text messages slight_smile

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Standard text messages will come through tugo if enabled in the settings.  Only short codes sent by banks and the likes of O2 won't show up as they are not supported as yet. 

Badcompany
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So my PAYG iPhone 3GS will not work in the USA?  Yes?  No?

Badco.

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Yes but it ain't cheap.
You are better off with a local sim card or burn phone.
jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

A 3GS will work for sure in the US but make sure you disable mobile/cellular data or you will be met with a crippling bill at £6/Mb. Use wifi where possible.

Badcompany
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Jonsie,

Once again thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am aware of the need to disable the mobile data part of the 'phone's settings.  I was in the USA for three weeks last August and the 'phone would only work with emails on wi-fi, dialling numbers and sending texts did not work at all.

Are there some more settings I need to look at?

Kind regards

Badco.

Anonymous
Not applicable

International roamng works just fine in Europe and even Australia.  But not in the USA.  Is there a solution to this?

Cleoriff
  • 122803 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

At present it appears the best advice is to make sure your phone is unlocked and use a local sim purchased in the USA....

Other than that... use WiFi as much as possible?

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Strange, it worked just fine for me in california and new York a couple of years ago. Guess something has changed?

Anonymous
Not applicable
What about using my phone whilst at sea on a cruise. I've noticed other passengers using their phones but mine just displays"emergency calls only".
perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Maybe you have "Roaming" turned off on your phone, take care as ship use can be very expensive.

The Purser's office should be able to give you the charges involved.

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Believe me,  do not even think about using on a cruise. ...Unless your name is Rothschild. ...

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Believe me,  do not even think about using on a cruise. ...Unless your name is Rothschild. ...

When I was at sea we had to use ship-to-shore radio and everyone had to book their calls. Smiley Very Happy

Badcompany
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I will not be aboard a ship.  I am returning to the USA this August to attend Speed Week at the Bonnevile Salt Flats, and I would like my iPhone 3gs to have the facility to 'phone back home to the UK, send a text message to whomever and generally behave like a telephone and not just a wi-fi device.

Badco.

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

As advised above, get a local sim to keep the charges down.

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Badcompany wrote:

I will not be aboard a ship.  I am returning to the USA this August to attend Speed Week at the Bonnevile Salt Flats, and I would like my iPhone 3gs to have the facility to 'phone back home to the UK, send a text message to whomever and generally behave like a telephone and not just a wi-fi device.

Badco.

Get a three payg sim and for a £15 bolt on you can use it exactly as you would at home.

If you install Tugo on your phone you can still use your o2 number too.

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

In my youth Bonnevile Sea Flats was all our motor cycle gang dreamed about but sadly out of our meagre income reaches. Instead, any monies went on customising the bikes. Different times, different world. Enjoy @Badcompany

Anonymous
Not applicable
Should I use tugo whilst abroad?
Cleoriff
  • 122803 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@jonsiewho posted just above you is our TuGo expert. He goes abroad a lot (currently in Thailand) and he uses it whenever he can.:smileywink:

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, for calling all the numbers you can usually use on your allowance. International calls will still be charged at normal international rates though.....

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

For sure!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am working in Qatar, using PAYG.  For three weeks it worked fine but about one week ago it stopped.  When people try to phone me there's a message saying the number is unavailable, I don't receive messages and can't send them either. I have 30 pounds of credit on the phone, so that's not the problem.

Can anyone suggest what is happening please and, more importantly, what I can do?

Thanks