O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Pay Monthly and Pay & Go

Level 1: Joiner
katyandrews

I want to cancel my contract

I've got a 24 month contract and have 12 months left of it and I would like to get a new phone and was wondering if I would be able to cancel my contract? Or get an early upgrade?
Please use plain text.
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
prking

Re: I want to cancel my contract

The contract is a legal agreement, but O2 will let you upgrade a little early depending on how much you spend over your tariff each month.
If you never go over your monthly tariff then you can upgrade one month early.
There is nothing stopping you from buying your own handset though.
No - there isn't an app for it.
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
plymouthbloke

Am I right in thinking the VAT is removed when buying the contract out?
I've got 12 months left too, but may leave it 6 months before I buyout. I'm off to GiffGaff :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
Munroe

I think if you want to cancel you have to pay off the amount remaining of your contract i.e. if it was a 12 month contract at £25 a month and you have 6 months left you would have to pay £150 to cancel.
Please use plain text.
plymouthbloke

Are you sure? Orange do not charge VAT on early termination fees, as they are not technically providing a service (unlike if you pay line rental and use the line).
Please use plain text.
wanty
Topics: 5
Kudos: 85
Solutions: 42

Are you sure? Orange do not charge VAT on early termination fees, as they are not technically providing a service (unlike if you pay line rental and use the line).

That's just a goodwill thing, not all providers do it.
Come say "hi" and have a chat and a virtual pint with the other O2 forum members here!
I work for O2 but any comments and opinions I post here are solely my own and do not reflect those of O2 or Telefónica.
Please use plain text.
plymouthbloke

Definitely not goodwill. It's non VAT rated on the bill. I should know as I work for them :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
wanty
Topics: 5
Kudos: 85
Solutions: 42

Definitely not goodwill. It's non VAT rated on the bill. I should know as I work for them :smileyhappy:

Right ok, but they're not doing it because they have to.
Come say "hi" and have a chat and a virtual pint with the other O2 forum members here!
I work for O2 but any comments and opinions I post here are solely my own and do not reflect those of O2 or Telefónica.
Please use plain text.
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
prking

That's right. Its just something they do. Vodafone used to do something similar, but now charge (like O2) in accordance with Ofcom guidelines.
No - there isn't an app for it.
Please use plain text.
plymouthbloke

Right ok, but they're not doing it because they have to.

Surely that means O2 charge a 17.5% penalty for early termination then?
Either something is VAT rated, or it isn't. The networks can't decide that for themselves.
Please use plain text.