cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup / use TuGo to use in Canada

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am travelliung to Canada shortly and would like some help please.

I have TuGo installed and am quite happy with using it in the UK. However, as far as I can see I cannot restrict incoming and outgoing calls to go via TuGo alone.

If I have my phone on and have a mobile signal, either with or without accessible wifi, I will presumably be charged around a pound a minute to receive a call. Also, if I make a call when I am in a wifi area, but when I also have a mobile signal, I assume the call will go via the mobile signal in preference and not wifi and hence cost me an arm and a leg.

Am I right or is there some way of telling the phone only to use wifi and not the mobile signal? The two phones concerned are a Samsung S6 and a Samsung J5.

Also, if my phone is switched off for a while and I receive a voicemail which O2 stores for me will I be able to retreive it later on wifi only or will it play back over the mobile signal if I am in mobile signal area..

I am confused, I moved to O2 so I could use TuGo in the UK but I was not aware that the costs for using O2 in the USA and Canada were so high. EE, my previous provider, gave access to call packages which made the costs more manageable.

Help please.

Thanks

David

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

You put phone into airplane mode and then turn wifi back on, that way only wifi can be used.
You also need to make sure you dial out from the Tu app for it to work for you.

The Tu app will also handle your voicemail for you when used as I've described.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

You put phone into airplane mode and then turn wifi back on, that way only wifi can be used.
You also need to make sure you dial out from the Tu app for it to work for you.

The Tu app will also handle your voicemail for you when used as I've described.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you - it seems obvious now.

David

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
No problem.
There are other options which involve sim cards from other networks, but that is the easiest way of doing it.
If you'd like info on the other options, just ask.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
MI5 I would like further info, handy to know for travels slight_smile
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Tu will work over a mobile data connection too, so you can use the sim card to provide that. In EU you can opt for O2 Travel which will give you unlimited data for £1.99 a day (calls and texts also included in this charge, see O2 Travel for details) or use a sim from a different network. Out side of the EU a sim local to the country you are travelling to would most likely be the cheapest option or check if the country you are travelling to is covered by Three's "Feel at Home" offer.
Links -
O2 Travel https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe
Three Feel at Home http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home?id=1523&aidset=1

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I use TU outside of Europe either with wifi of a local simcard. Just use your normal allowance for calling and texting back to the UK on either the local network or wifi. If a local sim doesn't appeal to you or Three doesn't cover the country, use wifi only and use the phone in Flight mode. Don't forget that if using a local sim card, then unlock your phone through the link in My O2 well before you go.

Message 7 of 7