Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is this 'Pay as you go'?

Skyrim
Level 1: Joiner
  • 43 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just bought an O2 PAYG phone. I am using it primarily for wifi internet access and sending the occasional text. I will rarely make calls from it unless I'm outside and need a taxi, which isn't very often, or if I'm away from home. The phone has Skype and Whatsapp, which are free over wifi. So, the tariff isn't important. What's important is that I can make a call or send a text whenever I want as long as there's enough credit.

I've just discovered to my dismay that the free minutes and texts expire 30 days after I put my credit on. The whole point of getting a PAYG phone was so that I could just stick some credit on and forget about it until it ran out. I do NOT want to have to make regular monthly payments. I would have got a contract if that were the case.

Two questions:

1) What happens after 30 days? Is my £10 credit gone forever? Will I need to put another £10 credit on if I'm going to be able to make a call or send a text?

2) Does O2 have a tariff that just lets me put on credit and use it up as I go, like every other PAYG I've had?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Call them up or use chat and ask to change to text & web. You will get your allowances for this month as you have already paid but the tariff does not suit your needs.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your credit is still there - it's just that O2 **also** give you some free data and a number of texts when you top-up - using those does not use any of your credit - and those freebies expire after a month if not used.  

In other words, if you top-up £10 and only use the free stuff during that month, you'll still have your £10 left to use. 

Credit is carried forward - it doesn't expire or get deleted if you don't use it with x number of days (except in exceptional circumstances such as you not making any chargable calls for several months in which case, O2 - like all providers - will "disconnect" the phone)

Message 2 of 11

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You don't say which tariff you are on but normally a P&G tariff such as web & text, you pay £10 a month for 'free' minutes and texts. If you don't top up you just don't get the free extras with your plan.

However you do keep the credit and get no added extras ie. you pay normal rates for calls and texts and you only top up when you want to.

Change your tariff to text and web and you have essentially a P&G phone that you top up when YOU want to and your credit stays on the phone each month. The only stipulation then is that you make a chargeable call every 6 months to keep the number 'active'.

Message 3 of 11

Skyrim
  • 43 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So why did they deduct my £10 credit then? And why do I get a message saying you have £0.00 credit when I send a text? My tariff is pay and go go go. I just dialled 4444 and my credit is 0.

Message 4 of 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Pay as you go go is the new payg and costs £10 a month for the allowances given or £20 for the higher tier.

If it is not what you want change to one of the old style payg options that suits your need.

see the t&C here http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/pay-and-go-go-go-terms-and-conditions

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 11

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Call them up or use chat and ask to change to text & web. You will get your allowances for this month as you have already paid but the tariff does not suit your needs.

Message 6 of 11

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Text and Web;  http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/Pay_and_Go#

Charges outside your allowance:

UK standard fixed lines and O2 mobilesVoicemailOther UK networkUK text messageInternational chargesUK picture messagesmobiles

Standard call rates apply to voice calls made in the UK to standard UK fixed line numbers (starting 01, 02 or 03). UK standard fixed lines and O2 mobiles 25p/min for first 3 mins then 5p/min for rest of day
Voicemail 15p per call
UK text message 12p per message
For details, see www.o2.co.uk/international International charges
Picture messaging phone required. Not available with iPhone. UK picture messages 25p per message
Other UK network mobiles 25p per minute
Message 7 of 11

Skyrim
  • 43 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Which chat is that Jonsie?

Message 8 of 11

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 9 of 11

Skyrim
  • 43 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks Jonsie I just had my tariff changed and my £10 refunded! Nice one.

Message 10 of 11