cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going travelling and i still have 6 months left on my contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm going away travelling for 7 months in January 2017, but my contract doesn't expire until June 2017. 
Is it possible for me to downgrade my contract to a pay as you go sim (i'm guessing I have to pay off the device plan), which I'd then be able to make and receive calls in Australasia and South-East Asia?

Or alternatively convert it to some sort of international contract?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You may be better cancelling your contract and going from there. Info here in this guide...

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/highlight/true#M56526

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You may be better cancelling your contract and going from there. Info here in this guide...

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/highlight/true#M56526

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes if you pay off your device plan you can switch to sim only or payg.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
But if you wish to use a local sim while traveling then after you pay off the device plan you can unlock your phone for free as a contract customer
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks all, I'll probably just cancel my contract then

Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The only other option is to use TU over wifi for calling and texting back to the UK so you can at least use your minutes and texts but you would not be able to use the data allowance.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You could also pay off your phone and drop to a cheap sim only tariff so you can keep your number and uk friends could still call you on the same number.
If you had tugo this would be free for you to receive calls too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7