O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 2: Apprentice
iPwnerer

Freepost Return Address and 14day Cooling off Period

Hello fellow o2 customers,

I am writing this message as a word of warning to you all, as to my current situation, in the hope you will not make the same mistake I have been instructed to make by o2 customer services via e-mail.

First off let me start by explaining what I ordered from o2.

I ordered a dell streak online on the first Friday in June, with a certain monthly contract.

The item arrived on Saturday (the next day), in a box well packaged.

I was unsatisfied with the device after a few days of usage so I phone o2 customer service on 202 and informed them I wanted to return my order, within the 14 day cooling off period.

I received an e-mail shortly after the same day with exact details, which I followed to the latter; the e-mail is below (with personal information edited out).
Tuesday, 8 June, 2010 12:54
"mycare"
Add sender to Contacts
To:
"*** ***" <***@***.***>

Sorry to hear that you want to return your O2 device back to us

As discussed it has been agreed that you can return your handset within
the first 14 days of your contract.

To enable us to process your return faster we would ask you to please
complete the following steps:

Preparing your handset:

- Send back everything that was delivered with the original order for
example chargers and headsets.
- Save your personal information, like numbers, photos, texts and
downloads. (To back up your numbers, texts and photos with Bluebook, go
to o2.co.uk/bluebook.)
- Keep your sim.
- If you were given a memory card with your order please save all your
data then delete all your personal information and send the blank card
back to us.
- We are not responsible for any your personal memory cards or
accessories sent back to us in error.

What to send:

- Please include within your parcel:
- Your name and full address.
- Your mobile number.
- A brief description of the problem you are having.
- Write your personal booking number on the inside and outside of the
package: it's ********.

Where to send it:

Freepost Zone A (Return)
Exel Logistics
Waindyke Way
Normanton
WF6 1TF

We recommend you obtain a proof of posting certificate/receipt from the
Post office when returning your package.

What happens next?

We recommend that you allow 5 working days for your handset to be
returned to us and then call our Customer Service department on 0870 600
3009 to check we have received your handset. We will be happy to then
transfer you to our sales team.

Thank you for contacting O2 Returns and Repairs.

Regards

O2 Repairs and Returns

Getting your query right the first time you email us is very important
to us. If your query has not been resolved this time, please reply to
this email with the words 'Need More Help' in the subject field.

Telefónica O2 UK Limited, Registered in England No 1743099. Registered
Office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4DX.

I followed the instructions in that e-mail to the latter.

Now it has been 7 working days (not including weekends) since I sent back the dell streak phone, but o2 customer service have still not received my item. This is when i started to research into Freepost returns on this o2 forum, to find horror stories about lost high value phones via free post royal mail and there was nothing the o2 customer can do about it.

I have been told in that e-mail by o2 customer service, to send back my shiny new Dell Streak phone in its original packaging via Freepost at the post office which has lower priority than second class and hence takes longer than second class delivery. Also the phone I sent back is not insured if lost and by the looks of it will be my responsibility to replace.

I now have a SIM card on a pay monthly contract with internet access bolt on, plugged into my 5 year old Nokia o2 pay as you go phone, because I was given mis-information by o2 customer services.

I regret ordering this device now and I just hope people read this post, prior to sending back their smart phone. If like me you have no idea how to send high value items back, do as follows...

SEND IT VIA ROYAL MAIL SPECIAL DELIVERY!!!
More information @ http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400028&mediaId=400026

Freepost address and label is simply NOT GOOD enough, which is what o2 told me to use and now i am stuck with a high monthly contract and no actual smart phone to use it on.
Please use plain text.
wanty
Topics: 5
Kudos: 86
Solutions: 41

Did you get a proof of postage?
Come say "hi" and have a chat and a virtual pint with the other O2 forum members here!
I work for O2 but any comments and opinions I post here are solely my own and do not reflect those of O2 or Telefónica.
Please use plain text.
iPwnerer

Did you get a proof of postage?

Yes I did.
Please use plain text.
wanty
Topics: 5
Kudos: 86
Solutions: 41

The fax it in to them, you'll be fine.
Come say "hi" and have a chat and a virtual pint with the other O2 forum members here!
I work for O2 but any comments and opinions I post here are solely my own and do not reflect those of O2 or Telefónica.
Please use plain text.
iPwnerer

The fax it in to them, you'll be fine.

Ok will remember to take it to work on Monday and sort it then, cheers mate.
Please use plain text.
iPwnerer

Just to update,

I did like you said and mentioned the proof of postage i had obtained while i was at work the other day.

The o2 lady gave me her work e-mail address and said i can send her a scanned image of the proof of postage certificate i got at my local post office.

She called me back on my phone immediately after i sent the e-mail and told me my account will be closed, the SIM card (that came with the smart phone) and the smart phone (I sent to them via freepost but still has not arrived) will be blocked and all monthly payments stopped. Immediately after the call I checked my old pay as you go phone for signal and there was none, hence the pay monthly SIM I still have is being blocked now.

I have yet to get all this in writing mind you, but since i did this all online, i have checked my online account and theres nothing there anymore beside a welcome message and this:

__________________________________________________________________________________
My O2
Account number: ***********

Important information about your account

For some reason we do not have a pay monthly online bill associated with the "usename and password" you have signed in with.

To view a pay monthly online bill you will need to have set up a pay monthly mobile phone account and when you set this account up you would have been given, or chosen a username and password. You need to use these original 'sign in' details to view your bill online.

If you can't remember your original sign in details, please go to our online username and password reminder.

If you are a Pay & Go customer, an O2 customer billed by a different company or not yet an O2 customer and are interested in our O2 pay monthly please see our Pay monthly deals in the online shop.

Apologies for any inconvenience.
__________________________________________________________________________________

I am now considering this problem resolved.

Thanks for the help >.>
Please use plain text.
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
prking

I think you worried yourself un-necessarily.
I wonder how many of the 'Horror stories' you mentioned were other people who got themselves worked up?
No - there isn't an app for it.
Please use plain text.
thefamilythatis

I think he is right to worry!!

Having been charged over £1000 for a returned phone, which they have admitted they received within a couple of days of it being returned and well within the 14 day cooling off period, I think its perfectly right to worry!!

Yep, I am living one of those 'horror stories'
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
maxsoundaudio

Re: Freepost Return Address and 14day Cooling off Period

I completly agree with everything you say on this one !

Returning anything to o2 especially via the exel logistics address has to be and must be sent with full proof of purchase and signed for at the other end because other wise yes you guessed it IT WILL GET LOST ! I`m just going through the hassel of a refund for a faulty handset but even though i have a signed for delivery back to o2 they now are asking for a flippin FAX of proof ? Who the hell sends a fax these days ?I asked can`t i just email you the proof via a scan but ohhhhh no it has to be a fax so i  now have to go right into town and find some fossel shop who have a flippin fax machine just to get proof of delivery over to o2 !Pretty poor service from o2 we must say and very discusted with all of this !

l harvey
Please use plain text.