cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ferry roaming charges - also relevant for cruise ships

Anonymous
Not applicable

As this is trending at the moment I though I would add some inf that is available when u use the ferry's /cruise's website. This one is the one on the Brittany ferries web site and you get this inf when u buy the ticket. This will apply to most,although the satellites may vary the same principle applies ( Iceland and Norway are the most common locations for the satellites but there are more).  

Will my mobile phone work on board the ferry?

Yes, an offshore mobile telephone network is available during the crossing, additional charges will be incurred.

Skybridge is a satellite-based marine mobile provider and charges will be considerably higher than your standard tariff.

Wi-Fi Internet is also available on board and is provided free of charge to our customers. In order to use the service you must log-in to the Internet@Sea wireless network using the credentials on your boarding card or cabin key. If you are using data on your device solely via our onboard Wi-Fi connection then you will not incur any additional charges. Please ensure you have Wi-Fi enabled and have logged into Internet@Sea correctly and have disabled your mobile data and mobile data roaming in your device settings.

If you do not disable your mobile data roaming then your mobile may automatically use this service whilst onboard. Data charges via Skybridge will be considerably higher than your standard data tariff. Please refer to your devices operating instructions for details on how to enable and disable these features and ensure you are aware of any data services that may be enabled and attempting to connect.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

SGA covers services too.  A telephone call is a service.  Data is a service.  Money exchanged hands with O2, not with Brittany Ferries so I have to go to O2.  Anyway, it's with the financial ombudsman now because O2 only refunded half the money so I'll see what they say about it.  

That was a goodwill gesture, they don't have to refund you at all, if you used your phone on another network that is down to you.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 31 of 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Just be happy that half was recredited for you. Anything else is going to be very difficult and not worth the effort. You need to take it up with the network you were connected to.

Message 32 of 36

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

When I was on DFDS from Dover to France and Vice Versa, i was connected to there mobile network.  I got a SMS from O2 about 30Mins into the journey regarding SMS and phone charges.  It didn't howevere mention Data Charges which puzzled me.

i always have my roaming data of until I on dry land in EU and connected to a proper EU network too, but I can tell you there there was no mention on the ship at all of the mobile network etc.  no paperwork, no nothing.

differnt point.

When end flying with Virgin Atlantic to USA. I was able to connect to the mast in the aircraft once above 10,000 feet.  Cabin crew made the announcement that they don't have data on the aircraft, but calls and SMS are considerable more and should check with the network before using it.  I did get a SMS in 5 mins advising me of charges.  I did send a couple of SMS just to try it out, its very strange 

lol sending a SMS over the ocean.  I didn't make calls as it was too expensive lol.  Only 8 people at any one time can use the service, so it was like hit and miss for a SMS to go lol

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 33 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122364 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think @jonsie flies with Emirates to Thailand. I am sure he said he was using WiFi....(but it's late...and I may be confused) Confused wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 36

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

The 747 Virgin plane didn't have wifi 😔. We was change at last min from a Airbus a330 which did. But hey. I was still able to keep update with news etc by using there onboard system.  Quite good really.

i never knew I could watch 25 films on a 9 hour flight at once. Lol. I watched first 10 mins. Predicted ending and watched last 10 mins. 👍. Lol

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 35 of 36

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Nearly all Emirates fleet now have wifi. It's turned on once the plane reaches cruising height. 10MB free....yeah, useless but you buy 500MB with a credit/debit card for 1.00GBP, enough to last for two 7 hour flights and speeds are around 4Mbps down and 1Mbp up. Perfectly adequate for my needs and considering there are 300plus passengers it's a great service.

I emailed a picture to my son taken whilst coming in to Bangkok, amazing what you can do on these flights now.

20150514_130002.jpg

Message 36 of 36