O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Pay Monthly and Pay & Go

Level 1: Joiner
Animating_Monke

False Advertising

Ok, so i bought the Galaxy Ace the other week and was told by the o2 website that it supported iPlayer..
From the o2 Galaxy Ace page.
if you want to catch up on your favourite programmes on the large 3.5" screen when away from home tune into BBC iPlayer.

o2 Galaxy Ace Page

I contacted o2 about this through the support chat client and was redirected to the o2 store i bought the phone from, i was then redirected back to o2 customer services.
I just finished the call with the support line and was told that they were sorry and the site would be changed.
I feel though that this is a case of false advertising and according to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) it comes under that.
I still have the option to return the phone as im still within my 14 days but thats not the point, the reason i bought this phone was because it was in my price range and offered what i through features that i was looking for.
I just feel disappointed in o2 and feel that there must be something they can do im just not sure what, i dont know what i want from them but i feel more then just a voice at the end of a phone saying "sorry" and "i understand your issue".
Does anyone know of any other action i can take as it seem that calling customer services yields little result.
Thank you
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 213
Kudos: 892
Solutions: 973

Re: False Advertising

where is that screen print tanken from ?
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
Animating_Monke

the screenshot is taken from the o2 website, on the Galaxy Ace page.
Here: http://www.o2.co.uk/samsung/galaxy-ace
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 213
Kudos: 892
Solutions: 973

Ok as the actual shop pages do not mention it.
How are you trying to access iplayer via a browser or a dedicated app ?
I am not into andriod so cannot offer much help
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
Animating_Monke

when trying to download the iPlayer app it doesn't allow it as it isn't compatible with the device and when trying through the browser is can't run as Flash isn't compatible with the device so under no circumstance (unless rooting android) will iPlayer work.
Please use plain text.
Level 7: Part Timer
canwefixit

Hi, you're correct, as the phone has an 800mhz processor it won't support flash which in turn means no BBC iPlayer.
Unfortunately, mistakes like this can happen from time to time. However you've flagged the issue to O2 and I'm sure they'll rectify it asap. It won't have been intentional.
In the meantime, if you aren't happy with the phone, make use of the 14 days return period.
Please use plain text.
Level 7: Part Timer
canwefixit

The O2 website has been updated and no longer states that BBC iPlayer can be used on the Galaxy Ace :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
delboyuk2001uk

I suppose there is nothing you can do, at least they have listenend to you and took the iplayer spec off the website so thats good news.
thats why phones have 14 day return so if things with the phone you dont like or cant do you have 14 days to find out, and if your not able to get what you want just return it and get your money back.
Maybe the op would like some advice on any phones around the same price rangw which can do bbc iplayer and this should solve the issue and take the galaxy ace phone back and swap it for a bbc iplayer capable device.
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
delboyuk2001uk

Anyone know what pay n go phones will do bbc iplayer for around £170 to help the OP out.
Sony ericsson xperia ray mayabe for £199,99
Any Blackberrys?
Nokia Lumia 710?
Am not sure?
Please use plain text.