O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 2: Apprentice
Gambling_Guy

Early upgrade? Like really early?

I currently have a 24 month contract with O2 which I am 14 months into. So have about 10 months left to go before I can upgrade. My average bill is usually around £35-£50 a month. The phone I got with the contract is just a plain and simple Samsung Tocco Lite which is great little phone for all the basics.
However as the world changes and moves faster and faster I now have no option and need a smart phone so I can have instant fast internet access anywhere. Unfortunately the Tocco Lite is not a smart phone but the Galaxy S is. The Tocco Lite has served me well and is indeed on it's last legs and I will most definitely need a new phone of some sort before my contract runs out.
I have called O2 and told them I am willing to take brand new contract out right now for 24 months at £40 (minimum) a month in order for me to get the Galaxy S. They said nope. So take the 10 months I have left in my current contract off a new 24 month contract. That gives O2 at least a guaranteed extra 14 months payments from me on top of the next 10 guaranteed months. If O2 can't help me now why should I renew in 10 months time? You can be pretty sure that when the next 9 months whizzes pass and I'm in the last month of my current contract O2 will be offering me this and offering that to stay with them. But why should I? Yes O2 are guaranteed at least 10 more months service from me but why would O2 not take the 10 guaranteed months from me and an extra 14 months on top?
Please use plain text.
Level 7: Part Timer
canwefixit

Re: Early upgrade? Like really early?

Because that's not the way it works - there is no process in place to do it.
This question is asked all the time in the forum.
You're right, o2 are guaranteed to another 10 months of payments from you and along with that the amount you'll spend going over your tariff which you must be doing if you spend up to £50 per month - which they'd lose out on by letting you upgrade early.
If you choose to leave them in 10 months time because they weren't flexible just now then so be it, another customer will come along and fill your place. But don't cut off your nose to spite your face. See what the retentions offer is first, it might be better than taking a new contract elsewhere.
Please use plain text.
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
prking

The thing is, you are asking O2 to give you a Samsung Galaxy S at the 24 month price, but only want to commit for an extra 14 months.
No - there isn't an app for it.
Please use plain text.
Gambling_Guy

You're right, o2 are guaranteed to another 10 months of payments from you and along with that the amount you'll spend going over your tariff which you must be doing if you spend up to £50 per month - which they'd lose out on by letting you upgrade early.

How are O2 losing out by letting me upgrade early? They are gaining! They will get an extra 14 months out of me on top of the 10 months they are guaranteed! They will also get to bill me for anything above my monthly bill for the guaranteed 10 months and for a further 14 months? And you tell me they are losing? Exactly how are they losing?
Please use plain text.
Gambling_Guy

The thing is, you are asking O2 to give you a Samsung Galaxy S at the 24 month price, but only want to commit for an extra 14 months.

So O2 would rather I didn't renew my contract AT ALL than give them an extra 14 months?
Surely 14 guaranteed extra months from me is better than me not renewing my contract at all? Or am I missing something?
Please use plain text.
Gambling_Guy

Isn't it obvious? You are effectively saying give me this phone and I'll commit to the rest of my contract plus a bit more if I feel like it. They are losing out as the handset price is built into the length of the contract and if you want out, that isn't going to be cheap.

Erm OK. So just for arguments sake let's say O2 do give me a new 24 month contract at a minimum of £40 per month which would include me getting a new phone. My average bill would probably then be around £55-£60. So 24 months at let's say £55 equals £1320. I'm pretty sure than O2 would still be making from me even when the cost of the phone is took out of the £1320.
So O2 could have me give them around £1320 and probably more if they would let me renew my contract now and have a new phone.
Or they could just have 10 more months from me for £400.
I'm not looking to break and renew every contract I enter into. Just this one time I would like the rules to be bent. I know it isn't going to happen though.
Please use plain text.
Gambling_Guy

OK sheepdog. Thanks for your help. So I'll just see out the next 10 months of my current contract with O2 then take a 24 month contract out with Tesco Mobile at £30 month and get my Samsung Galaxy S. Be a bit silly to renew my contract with O2 after the 10 months to get a Samsung Galaxy S and pay £40 a month with them, eh?
Why would I pay an extra £240 to O2 when Tesco Mobile offer me the exact same package cheaper?
As someone pointed in a post above, someone will fill the space I leave in O2.
Simples.
You sold O2 well there sheepdog. LoL
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
skincareproff

i think its the same with all networks to be honnest i know to terminate / upgrade on T Mobile you have to pay the remaining months left x monthly payment to finish or upgrade....
Please use plain text.
Level 7: Part Timer
canwefixit

OK sheepdog. Thanks for your help. So I'll just see out the next 10 months of my current contract with O2 then take a 24 month contract out with Tesco Mobile at £30 month and get my Samsung Galaxy S. Be a bit silly to renew my contract with O2 after the 10 months to get a Samsung Galaxy S and pay £40 a month with them, eh?
Why would I pay an extra £240 to O2 when Tesco Mobile offer me the exact same package cheaper?
As someone pointed in a post above, someone will fill the space I leave in O2.
Simples.
You sold O2 well there sheepdog. LoL

LOL!!! yeah so funny! :womanindifferent:
Have you realised that the people who have posted here are just customers and not o2? It's no skin off Sheepdog's nose whether or not you stay with o2. Myself and others have just tried to give some perspective but you obviously aren't happy that nobody has taken your side.
You were quite right, if come the time of upgrade Tesco or whoever has a better deal on whatever handset you want (the Galaxy S will be old news by then) then yes leave o2, it makes sense. However as I said previously don't just leave o2 because you're bitter that they wouldn't bend their rules for you - you may find their retention offer beats what you'd get as a new customer of another network.
Please use plain text.
wanty
Topics: 5
Kudos: 86
Solutions: 41

So O2 would rather I didn't renew my contract AT ALL than give them an extra 14 months?
Surely 14 guaranteed extra months from me is better than me not renewing my contract at all? Or am I missing something?

So if that happens, what happens if you decide you want to upgrade half way through the next contract?
Come say "hi" and have a chat and a virtual pint with the other O2 forum members here!
I work for O2 but any comments and opinions I post here are solely my own and do not reflect those of O2 or Telefónica.
Please use plain text.