cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading Tariff

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why can't we downgrade our tariff? Surely this is unfair to lock your customers in? It's unethical!! If this is the case I'm leaving O2
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It's because you signed a contract to pay a set amount for a set period of time, which is normal.

With the new O2 Refresh contracts you can end the contract by paying off the balance on the handset only.

If you leave early you would have to pay any outstanding balance up to the end of your contract.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 19

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122892 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous It certainly isn't unethical. O2 make a presumption that you know what you can afford and you sign a contract as such.If you bought a car or something else via a credit agreement you would be expected to meet the payments. You do actually have a choice of contract or payg ...

I am sorry that if your circumstances have changed but that isn't O2's fault..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
You should have checked how much you would use before signing up to a tariff, it's not O2 fault
Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Amazing the response. It's my fault, I should have read the contract, too bad, in other words stuff you. Amazing, you can't downgrade, even if your circumstances change, but you can always upgrade, no problem with upgrading.

Shame on you!!! You entrap your customers and offer no flexibility, and of course always blame them.
Message 5 of 19

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Good morning,

You do realise we're all customers like yourself? And are subject to the same contractual agreements/penalties!

The thing is, when you sign anything that binds you to pay for two years, you need to be absolutely sure that you'll continue to be able to afford the payments. It really is down to you to ensure this, and not O2.

If you're on refresh you can pay off your handset and cancel the contract. In fact, anywhere else and you wouldn't have even that choice.

Sorry to hear finances are rocky, but you've made a commitment and O2 will enforce it for the full two years.

Message 6 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122892 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous We are ALL customers like yourself. Not preaching an O2 mantra but just telling you the facts. Sorry if you are struggling (and I honestly am) but if you feel you have a real case for downgrading then please give Customer Services a ring... http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus I think the answer will be the same but worth a try...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 19

Peanut
Level 3: Thinker
  • 60 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
If you left o2 and got a contract with another network, they would apply exactly the same rules. A contract is a contract.
I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.”
Message 8 of 19

jonsie
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

At one time you could downgrade your tariff by one tier but they stopped it around two years ago. Unfortunately peoples' circumstances can change hugely over the length of a two year contract which is something we all need to consider when entering into a binding contract. Sadly there is nothing you can do now to lower the cost.

Message 9 of 19

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
If you think it unethical I suggest you take legal advice.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 19