cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does proper PAYG no longer exist?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm currently on PAYG with the "Text Anytime" tariff, but never use the 300 text messages in the month I top up. 

When I look at the other options, they all seem to require monthly payment, which seems to defeat the point of PAYG.  Not only that, but the cheapest one is £10, which is about twice as much as I currently spend (including my £3 data bolt-on, which is usually enough as there's wifi pretty-much everywhere these days).

Does true PAYG no longer exist?

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

They are usually happy to put you on the correct bundle if you opt for a tariff that doesn't meet your needs.

Message 21 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I just think this business about the O2 Basic tariff is damn annoying actually. " Well you may be able to have this one if you go all the way round the houses".....Evil

Some people have it...others not. One minute its on the website...then its gone.....

Conflicting advice from O2 makes you look a bit foolish....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 31

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Which is why I stopped advising about it esp as @Toby confirmed it no longer existed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 31

la7
Level 4: Observant
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

But it does existShocked

As you might knowiIf you have a phone that is locked to O2 you can still put a tesco payg sim in it and go on to the online account or online chat or call up and go on to tesco lite calls are 8p text are 4p.

Message 24 of 31

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If it exists they should put it back on the tariff pages, it's no good just offering to customers who want to leave. It was always by invitation only in the past. Appears you have to jump through hoops to get it now. That is just plain wrong.

Message 25 of 31

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@la7 wrote:

But it does existShocked

As you might knowiIf you have a phone that is locked to O2 you can still put a tesco payg sim in it and go on to the online account or online chat or call up and go on to tesco lite calls are 8p text are 4p.

We're not questioning the fact that it exists or not - Just repeating what we were told and the reason why we stopped advising of it.

As jonsie says, if it's available it should be available for all without fuss and stress.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@la7 wrote:

But it does existShocked

We're not questioning the fact that it exists or not - Just repeating what we were told and the reason why we stopped advising of it.

As jonsie says, if it's available it should be available for all without fuss and stress.

Exactly my point....as I said earlier...jumping through hoops or going round the houses is no way for anyone to get a tariff.....I certainly stopped advising people about it when the page disappeared...and then confirmation from Toby.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 31

la7
Level 4: Observant
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I agree mi5 it should be on the main tariff page next to big bundles as a option,

I would be happy with o2 basic on my main phone if they offered some better up to date data add on options unlike the expensive out of date data add ons they offer now £10 for 1gb would have been fine in 2008 not 2015,

Message 28 of 31

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Data is where the big profits are and unfortunately o2 are lagging way behind in what they offer. Other networks offer much more for the same money.

Message 29 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this is an oldish thread but as I helped someone locally with this just a few days ago I thought I would add what happened.
she had bought a locked iPhone and wanted it unlocked.
she got a sim online sent from 02 then added credit which went on as a bundle, she then asked online chat to change it to a pay as you go which they did. the only issue she had was the addition of £10 gave her a free £10 but although she had £20 credit the unlock wouldn't work until she added more external money. A day or so later she was able to unlock her phone via iTunes.
Message 30 of 31