cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dilemma with contract

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have paid my contract for the past 28 months which was a continuation from a previous 2 year contract. Problem is it's in my ex's name who refuses to transfer it over if I just stop paying the bill can they ask for my phone even though I got it from an independent retailer not from O2? As far as I'm concerned the phone belongs to me as I have paid for it. Help please
Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so now we know the phone was obtained separately.

If the phone you have now was not part of the contract deal or it was sim free then the phones yours.

Its just the contract that is not.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
18 months not 28 sorry
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The phone initially belongs to the account holder.

If the bills remained unpaid they would call bar the account and try to recover the debt.

This could result in a mark being placed on the account holders credit file.

If the account holder contacted o2 and said it was lost or stolen then an imei bar would be placed rendering the phone useless as a phone.

Why not open your own contract up as long as you can pass the credit check and simply give the phone back effectively breaking all ties.

Message 3 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi no they cannot ask for the phone back it is owned by the account holder but just be aware if your ex is nasty he could always say he wants it back and if you don't give it technically it's theft
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even though I have proof I have paid for the contract so far?
Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Even though I have proof I have paid for the contract so far?

In o2's eyes the contract account holder is their customer.

It plays little part what bank account is being used.

If you rang them and asked to speak about the account they wouldnt speak to you unless you were authorised to do so by the account holder.

Your options are :

Carry on as you are.

Ask the account holder to transfer ownership of the contract. You would both need to be present on the call to customer services.

Tell the account holder your stopping the direct debit and ask them to re set it up in their own name and return the phone.

Set up your own contract.

Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes unfortunately the phone belongs to the account holder
Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok well it was got separately to the contract but if u think so & it's not paid by direct debit. We can't be in the same room as he moved away & I wouldn't be in the same room as him as he is violent
Message 8 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Do you know the account password and security questions etc....?

Is it a SIM only contract? If so all they can do is cancel the SIM - They won't touch the phone....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so now we know the phone was obtained separately.

If the phone you have now was not part of the contract deal or it was sim free then the phones yours.

Its just the contract that is not.

Message 10 of 20