O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 2: Apprentice
Breed

Difference between wap.o2.co.uk and mobile.o2.co.uk?

As the thread title says, can somebody tell me the difference?

I have a Nokia 5800, and have both settings save into my phone.

mobile.o2.co.uk is saved under 'Internet' along with my home wireless connection.

wap.o2.co.uk is saved under 'WAP Services'.

As far as my knowledge goes. WAP is a portal with a limited number of pages available (O2Active and the likes) but i've been able to get onto any internet page with it on my 5800.

Which is better, are they both charged the same, and do both come under the unlimited web bolt on?
- You don't need your IP to change goddamn it! -
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
astral_1

I dont have an answer for you, i'm sorry, but i would certainly like to know .
I have both on my X1, and am also confused as to which does what.
Please use plain text.
Level 4: Observant
greenblink

The wap.o2.co.uk APN used to be limited to accessing simple WAP pages, but has recently been opened up to full web functionality so there is little difference between the 2 APN's now. The only real difference now is that wap.o2.co.uk has more control over the charging part. Its still used for MMS for example, so when you send or receive a picture message you don't get charged for the data transfer, but O2 can just charge you a one off fee for sending a picture message (25p).

All other ussage on the wap.o2.co.uk is chargable but its use will count as part of the unlimited bolt-on alongside mobile.o2.co.uk
Please use plain text.
Breed

The wap.o2.co.uk APN used to be limited to accessing simple WAP pages, but has recently been opened up to full web functionality so there is little difference between the 2 APN's now. The only real difference now is that wap.o2.co.uk has more control over the charging part. Its still used for MMS for example, so when you send or receive a picture message you don't get charged for the data transfer, but O2 can just charge you a one off fee for sending a picture message (25p).
All other ussage on the wap.o2.co.uk is chargable but its use will count as part of the unlimited bolt-on alongside mobile.o2.co.uk

Very informative. I'll probably use the mobile.o2.co.uk then.

Thanks much!

Sam.
- You don't need your IP to change goddamn it! -
Please use plain text.
Kieran321

I currently only have the WAP APN.

From what I have read, the mobile APN is faster. Any truth to that?

Am I able to request it from CS?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
abz1981

mobile.o2.co.uk access point is faster than wap.o2.co.uk, as far as i am concerned. however you will need a 3G sim card and have a 3G enabled phone, unless you already have one, to benefit from the fast speed.
Please use plain text.
ftw
ftw

what are the settings for the mobile.o2.co.uk APN? i had it automatically on my phone but it doesn't seem to work.

thanks
Please use plain text.