cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt collection harassment for someone else debt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! O2 are driving me mad. They're making 3 calls a day to get a debt cleared on my home phone.. Problem is when I go through security it turns out (as I know) I don't owe O2 anything but somehow someone has my home number on their account the debt department at O2 refuse to remove my number from this list as I'm not the person who owes them the money (stupid is as stupid does) claiming they can on,y speak to the account holder (I am the account holder for my home phone). I can't change my home number as it's hard wired into the building entry system. Have written to O2 3 times spent 40 hours on calls so far and still the same arrogant rude Scottish man from 0800 092 0840 rings 3 times a day with the same script and safe aggressive attitude and refusal to correct the mistake at O2.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll use the harassment act as justification of the breach of peaceful enjoyment that is in the contract
Message 21 of 31

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I own my flat and the door entry system used the phones and the numbers are hard wired into the door entry stem (takes 3 months and about £250 to change that) so can't change home number easily. If I sell I transfer old number to new owner. That why I can't change home number

Why would anyone want your number? If someone bought your flat do you think they'd want to be answering calls for you for who knows how long? What if you were receiving malicious or threatening calls? You'd be allowed to change your number, wouldn't you? I find it hard to believe that the process would take three months.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 22 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can change my number tomorrow but due to the door entry system having a hard wired dialler (soldered onto circuit board) it takes 3 months and £250 to alter the number on door entry so no one will be able to get in for 3 months so it's not an option.. Not my idea of good design but that's why the phone numbers are allocated to each flat not the actual owners/residents. If I sell there's a term in the lease the new owner must be given the phone number for that reason. A brilliant idea from denne construction (not)

The only threatening and harassing call I'm getting (ever had) are from O2 that's why I need to get it sorted. I would add again it's not for a debt I have but their records have my home number (had same one for 5 years) on someone else account who does owe them money (not same address as in first owner here)
Message 23 of 31

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Well it sounds like you're going to be in that flat for a very long time. I know I wouldn't want to have to take over anyone's number and have to fend off calls for them for possibly years. slight_frown

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 24 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
In Brighton we ran out of numbers years ago every new number has been recycled after just 3 months so moving to. New number means getting an unknown persons calls - it actually better to know who previously had the number and their new address an number in these circumstances.. Now if there was suddenly a never used pool of numbers it would be different and worth spending the £250 but as changing either utility supplier of phone number requires freeholder permission that's still not that easy. If I wanted to sell I'd do it tomorrow as property here is manically oversubscribed. Your personal dislike of having a number that's been used before is not really applicable to this case as it's o2 keeping incorrect records and refusing to correct them
Message 25 of 31

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Scrap the home phone and get your mobile programmed in. It's not a good situation to be in at all.

Message 26 of 31

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Scrap the home phone and get your mobile programmed in. It's not a good situation to be in at all.

That seems a reasonable solution @jonsie 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 31

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Regardless of the home phone number issue, I would try to get this sorted, if needs be through a solicitor, before you go and cancel any contracts. If you don't go about that using the correct procedures you will wind up with credit rating problems, which will only compound the current situation. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 28 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Takes 3 months, £250 and freeholder permission and I doubt as my mobile cannot be guaranteed to be in my flat they would t agree to this
Message 29 of 31

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Mike,

I'm about send you another PM so we can sort this out.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 30 of 31