cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt collection harassment for someone else debt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! O2 are driving me mad. They're making 3 calls a day to get a debt cleared on my home phone.. Problem is when I go through security it turns out (as I know) I don't owe O2 anything but somehow someone has my home number on their account the debt department at O2 refuse to remove my number from this list as I'm not the person who owes them the money (stupid is as stupid does) claiming they can on,y speak to the account holder (I am the account holder for my home phone). I can't change my home number as it's hard wired into the building entry system. Have written to O2 3 times spent 40 hours on calls so far and still the same arrogant rude Scottish man from 0800 092 0840 rings 3 times a day with the same script and safe aggressive attitude and refusal to correct the mistake at O2.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Toby,

I'm getting nowhere. I have now instructed my solicitor to start a cease and desist letter which is going to cost me £150.

I run a charity and so we have our phone contracts with O2 or rather are in process of moving them away from O2 and I'm seeking legal advice on terminating my contract with O2 for breach of contract by O2 (harassment)
Message 11 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
They're welcome to knock on the door - I don't owe them anything and the address will not be the one on whoever does owe them record it's a new build.
Message 12 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

On another note, if a default shows on your credit report due to this mix up, make sure O2 remove it.

Message 13 of 31

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

I'm a little puzzled as to why you can't change your home number? What happens if you move? A new tenant moving in wouldn't have to take that same number. Have you spoken to BT or whoever you pay for your home phone?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't see how a default could show up. Any default on a debtor is person specific, companies were barred from blocking addresses years ago.

The same happened to a friend of mine at an old address where mail and calls were being received. It should not take a solicitors letter at £150 to resolve. Remember debt collectors get told all sorts of things by debtors to try to put them off the scent. So assuming that the OP is not the debtor and he/she can prove it, all they need to do is when they next call, politely all for the name of the company and its address both email and snail mail and to then write to them both explaining the situation. I would also advise emailing Mr Dunne as his team can look into this they'd m through the Higher Level Complaints team.
Message 15 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous it is unlikely you would be able to leave your own contract as the breach is a result of another issue. O2 might as a goodwill allow you to leave but you would have to fight your case through Higher Level Complaints hence the email to Ronan Dunne CEO of o2. We are asked not to put email addresses on here so if you follow the principle of first name dot surname at the company dot com you will find what you need.
Message 16 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous The Protection from Harrassment Act 1997 is the one you need. You don't need a solicitor at this point. Just a polite but strong letter to the debt collection company advising them that you intend to being a case against them under the terms of the Act should be sufficient.
Message 17 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Good constructive advice @Anonymous  wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I own my flat and the door entry system used the phones and the numbers are hard wired into the door entry stem (takes 3 months and about £250 to change that) so can't change home number easily. If I sell I transfer old number to new owner. That why I can't change home number
Message 19 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's NOT an agency it's o2's credit control department. 0800 092 0840

I'm not worried about any bad credit score issues as it's not my debt and I'm the first person to live here so whoevers debt iris won't have this address on file. Due to lack of numbers in Brighton all phone numbers are reused after 3 months I've had this number since I moved in 5 years ago. That's how old and wrong the data is that they are using
Message 20 of 31