cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data charges abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable
As standard when I go away I always turn my data roaming off. This was no different when I came to the states on the 22nd July. By the 23rd I received a nice little message saying I've used 40 pounds worth of data!?

I'm absolutely appalled! It was completely unbeknown to me that it could be that my cellular data was still on. I feel conned and ripped off by O2. I've never had this issue with any other network!
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous When you go abroad not only should you turn data roaming off but also mobile data and voicemail I don't know what phone you are using  but those options are available in settings. Even if you don't use data, unless they are turned off... apps can be updating in the background etc

If you are disputing you have used anything at all then you should speak to CS about your bill

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous When you go abroad not only should you turn data roaming off but also mobile data and voicemail I don't know what phone you are using  but those options are available in settings. Even if you don't use data, unless they are turned off... apps can be updating in the background etc

If you are disputing you have used anything at all then you should speak to CS about your bill

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

It's possible that when you turned your phone back on when you landed that your phone switched on your mobile data as the default. A harsh lesson learned, but it's something you should check next time you travel.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 7

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Unfortunately yes, you do need to switch off mobile/cellular data as apps will always update in the background. Speak to another customer adviser who might be sympathetic and explain the situation. The best you can hope for is some form of goodwill gesture as you did use data albeit unknowingly.

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

£40 for the privilege of turning my data on for 5 seconds accidently...no usage involved

They even told me they could see that i had only switched it on momentarily

Apparently nothing they can do,or want to do

There is something I,my partner and his two daughters can do,and will do, upon our contracts falling due for renewal

Bye bye O2

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Try CS again and you may get a different response.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Data is £6/MB outside Europe so there must have been a lot of download during the time your phone was on. As said, call again.

Message 7 of 7