Did you mean: 

Credit Checks & Upgrades

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

Hey folks,

Quick question, my soon to be ex wife has defaulted on her credit card and a catalogue.  She is now wanting me.... (oh yes me) to set up a new line for her as she has broken her phone. 

She is currently on a paid off refresh plan, can she upgrade or would it fail due to her defaults.  Its worth noting that her bill has always been paid on time, well it was when she was with me anyway.

I am certainly not taking out another line for her, put it that way.

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
If the device plan has been paid up she can upgrade at any time.
Now, assuming the contract was in her name originally, she can upgrade without getting credit checked by O2, so the other defaults won't matter in this instance.
If, however, the account was originally in your name, she will be credit checked when taking out a new one in her own name.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
If the device plan has been paid up she can upgrade at any time.
Now, assuming the contract was in her name originally, she can upgrade without getting credit checked by O2, so the other defaults won't matter in this instance.
If, however, the account was originally in your name, she will be credit checked when taking out a new one in her own name.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Thanks, well she wont be upgrading it in my name. I have been thinking of shutting it off anyway, but trying to play nice for an easy divorce.

From what she was saying though, someone told her she could upgrade her line (which is under my name) and move it to her own name at the same time.

It sounds like it would basically be a new account with the old number.

Not that I am trying to be evil here, but surely O2 would need my permission to close down that line and move it into her name?
Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Yes, as you are the account holder you would have to give permission for the change and it would mean she would be credit checked as it would be classed as a new connection.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
If she upgrades as it is now, then the account will remain in your name, technically she could then default on this and you would become liable for the amount remaining.

So may be in your best interest to close that line down.
Message 5 of 12

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
so can she upgrade without me being there? Surely not.
Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
If she knows the account log in details, all she needs to do is upgrade online, simples !

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
eh, ill just get that changed to be on the safe side wink
Message 8 of 12

jonsie
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@Curr946 I understand u wanting to keep it friendly ergo a easy divorce. But in this instance you're potentially on the hook for a whacking great bill if she defaults after upgrading online...

Imo you should shut down the contract immediately and let her sort out her own telecommunications contracts and arrangements. This may cause some friction, but you'd at least be saving yourself potential aggro in the future..

If you tell her you're doing it and be straight up about why then that's probs the best way. Nobody wants to be financially tied to an ex if at all possible.

Good luck.

Message 10 of 12