cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract or pay and go

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it worth having contract anymore as I just text all the time . I hardly ever ring anybody and use data now and then then . Currently paying 25 quid a month . I do like my apps though
Message 1 of 40
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

If using Tugo is a deal breaker have a look at the Simplicity SIM Only deals on O2 https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity

If not then have a look at giffgaff. For £10 a month you can get 500 mins, unlimited texts and 1gb of data

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags
It is owned by Telefonica (who own O2) and runs on the O2 network, so you will just need a PAC from O2 to switch over but the giffgaff sim will work fine without unlocking the phone.
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You need to do what's best for you and your usage....
Pay as you go may work out better value in your case and there are other networks that run on O2 which offer good value to low users.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
It does seem a lot to be paying if your not using it but you say you like your apps I'm assuming you use data on those or are you mainly on wifi? But payg may certainly work out cheaper
Message 3 of 40

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

If you use wifi mostly then P&G is better for you. Perhaps the £10 bundle will suffice with 500mb data, 1000 texts and 100 minutes.

Message 4 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi batman

Here is the link to Payg tariffs http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

I use the £20 big bundle.

Their is also O2 Unlimited.

O2 Unlimited ; A Tariff where you get some allowances and also keep your top up credit.

Some of The drawbacks of not having a contract and using Payg are ;

No upgrade on your phone on Payg.
You pay upfront for your phone.

Voicemail use does not come out of your tariff minutes.

No tethering.

Can't use Tugo.

If the above are not deal breakers then I'd go for it. slight_smile

You can change your Payg tariff once a month.

If you choose to go to Payg then pop into your local O2 store to perform a sim swap as the SIM cards are different ones from contract to Payg. They hold different messaging numbers.

I assume your near the end of your contract so you can switch ?

Message 5 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife is not a big user of her phone and we have it set up on PAYG but with O2s Automatic Top Up.

When the credit gets down to £10  O2 top it up via a bank direct debit for an amount we specified when joing this scheme.   This gives us the flexibility of PAYG with the benefit of a Contract (ie: not having to remember to top up)

Message 6 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi reader

The auto top feature is great although we have had some negative feedback about it here.

I use my Banking App when I need to top up personally, which I also use to top up my families phones if needed.

I always receive a text message in good time from O2 providing a polite reminder that I need £20 on my account in order to receive my next Big Bundle.
Message 7 of 40

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Some of the negatives listed above don't apply to other O2 PAYG networks.
It would help if we knew what aspects were deal breakers for you as everyone is different.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
I hope I didn't make them come across as negatives as that wasn't my intention MI5.

My point is they are omissions not in O2 Payg at this time but are not deal breakers for me. slight_smile
Message 9 of 40

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
That's the important thing to consider.... For some, they may be deal breakers, but without knowing from the OP we're not in a position to advise the best route forward.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 40