cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged More than £1.99 when using data in Sweden

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can any one help me with this, today I arrived in Sweden. The O2 "welcome to Sweden"text - "start using data for £1.99 per day etc" came through, then a few hours later it says you have currently used £40 worth of data... Rang O2 and they seem to think it's my fault even though they told me that I should be on the O2 Travel Bolto on. (Which is fully active on my account)
Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Last time I was in Sweden o2 travel worked fine.
I suggest you call CS again to see if someone else is more helpful.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Last time I was in Sweden o2 travel worked fine.
I suggest you call CS again to see if someone else is more helpful.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 23

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 3 of 23

Getafix
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@jonsie has a asked a very good question.

With roaming my advise is to select a Network Manually. As there is possibility of picking up other Neighbouring Networks that are not part of that Country, eg Networks on Ferry are Satellite based rather than European.

Message 4 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Although as the OP has not confirmed they travelled by ferry we are still unsure if this was a factor..The text I get after I fly to Spain is exactly the same as that posted

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 23

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

We won't know until the OP comes back but automatically picking up a stronger network either near a border or onboard a ferry or aircraft seems to be the most likely cause of the charges.

Message 6 of 23

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Maybe they tried CS again and got a better response.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Maybe they tried CS again and got a better response.

It would've saved time...:smileytongue:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys, thanks for the responses, I flew into Sweden, and on arrival got the general text when arriving in a county,

"O2: Welcome to SWEDEN. Keep your phone on in Europe. You're on O2 Travel so data is just £1.99 for each day that you use it (There's no upper usage limit, but data speeds will vary with usage)." Etc...

Then after using the Internet (in Sweden) for about an hour I then got this text

"Using the web outside Europe costs £6/MB. We won't charge you more than £40 on your current bill and you can use up to 50MB"

Then an hour after that

"Using the web outside Europe costs £6/MB. We won't charge you more than £40 on your current bill and you can use up to 50MB"

So... I called the CS and they said just wait for your bill, but I'm guessing what's happened is that the phone has some how gone off the local network however I didn't notice it do that...

I have also been having trouble connecting to the Internet now, but I have a feeling (reading other posts) that that is to do with the silly "EU Internet" switch on IOS.

Thanks
Ross
Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry I meant j got this as the second text

"You've used 30% of your 50 MB allowance outside Europe. So far you've spent £40 on data. We won't charge you anymore on your current bill but we'll stop the data service if you go over 50MB"
Message 10 of 23