O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Pay Monthly and Pay & Go

Level 1: Joiner
Emma_gibson9435

Changing the name on the contract

Hi
I took the iphone 4 out in my name for my ex, we have now parted and he will no longer pay the bill. I can't afford this, if its not paid i'm assuming its my credit that its going against.
Can i change the name that the contracts in, to his? Or even maybe lower the tariff as its a phone that won't be used?
Thanks
Please use plain text.
Level 12: Nimble
ancientferguson

Re: Changing the name on the contract

Hi
I took the iphone 4 out in my name for my ex, we have now parted and he will no longer pay the bill. I can't afford this, if its not paid i'm assuming its my credit that its going against.
Can i change the name that the contracts in, to his? Or even maybe lower the tariff as its a phone that won't be used?
Thanks

I don't think this is possible Emma and yes, your credit score will suffer.
Have you asked him for the phone back? This phone is yours and was for him to use, do not accept any nonsense about it being a gift. Demand it back.
When you get it back then we can look at what to do next.
From Superuser to Steward in one fell swoop. That's progress! :-)
Please use plain text.
Emma_gibson9435

unfortunately, no chances of getting it back.
Please use plain text.
ancientferguson

unfortunately, no chances of getting it back.

Why not Emma? You can always PM me if you don't want to say why in the thread. It is your property and there are ways to render it useless.
He could run up any kind of bill he wants and you would have to pay.
This needs sorting!!
Please use plain text.
Emma_gibson9435

I don't think he would, hes getting company phone so he has no use for it, it wasn't a gift. It was a loan, that i never recieved back.
He said i could get the sim card back if i really want it.
I just wouldnt be able to afford his tariff
Please use plain text.
ancientferguson

I don't think he would, hes getting company phone so he has no use for it, it wasn't a gift. It was a loan, that i never recieved back.
He said i could get the sim card back if i really want it.
I just wouldnt be able to afford his tariff

Emma, get the phone off of him!! Don't take no for an answer. Find out who your local bobby is and ask his/her advice. I am not going to go down the route of a lesson in the law, but I am sure he won't fob you off by claiming it is civil dispute. He/she may well decide to have a chat with him and find out what he has to say about the status of the phone.
I could say much more on this subject but not on this thread.
If you can get that phone back, even recycling it, would give you £300+ and buy you several months of contract payments and possibly take you to a position whereby you could reduce the tariff.
How long have you had the contract for that phone.... and how old is he?
Please use plain text.
sheepdog
Topics: 13
Kudos: 147
Solutions: 33

Definitley get the sim card back asap at the least as AF says, he'll be running up the bill on that if he's inclined.
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
revsak

You could get a new sim from a store & have that connected to the number so he cant even use the sim he has. If you call customer service I'm pretty sure they would be able to send you a transfer of ownership form to fill in. Only problem there is that you would have to speak to your ex to get him to sign the form to say he is willing to take over the contract.
Please use plain text.
Emma_gibson9435

the contract is until june next year im sure of it. So still along time.
Thanks for your help guys, will call customer services see if they can sort the sim thing.
Please use plain text.
Level 9: Fired up
Beaufighter

Unfortunately revsak is mistaken, transfer of ownership only applies when moving from consumer to business and registering the phone into the business for vat purposes, not moving it from one consumer o the other.
If any third party will not return the phone, report it stolen (it is!) and have bars applied to the phone and account to prevent usage. Then do as a previous poster said and get a sim for the account yourself, either through the post or from a store and change the account password so that only you have access. As you are legally liable for tne phone and contract, this is the least you should do.
To lower the tariff the contract must be at least 9 months old, but even then it's only by one level I'm afraid.
Please use plain text.