cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Account Name

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi - I want to change the name & bank details on my phone, essentially transferring the number to my partner, can anyone tell mw know to do this? Thanks
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
You can change the bank details in your My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 but you cannot change the name. A new contract must be taken by the person who's name you want on the contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Having checked...I dont think you CAN change the name on the contract ...? I think you have to wait till the contract is up and a new one taken out. You may want to contact CS to make sure

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
You can change the bank details in your My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 but you cannot change the name. A new contract must be taken by the person who's name you want on the contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi - I want to change the name & bank details on my phone, essentially transferring the number to my partner, can anyone tell mw know to do this? Thanks

This is true you cannot change be the account name. Tried to when I took out a new contract and transfered my old number to it which was in my mother's name. I can't change that ever but the account is known to be mine but just her name on this forum etc. Apparently it's because all the official credit checks etc we're carried out in her name 

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally disappointed with O2s lack of compassion for a dying customer & his family who are going through so much heartache & stress at the moment. All the family happen to be long term & loyal customers too, this just makes it more infuriating.

My Dad has cancer, in this day & age it's not uncommon. He's currently fighting a loosing battle, looking worse every day. He & Mum have a single contract with O2 for both of their phones. It's in my Dad's name. He also used his for business too, so he's had his fair share of high bills.

Mum's had the same number for near on 20yrs, it's invaluable at the moment as long term family & friends are in contact for updates on my Dad's health. In recent months, they also put her number as a contact for a lot of financial things that are in Dad's name, ready for the worst.

In the last few days it's dawned on them that, when Dad passes, the phone contract will end and Mum won't have any authority to alter it. So, quite rightly she called up O2 seeking support & advice in order to settle this 'small' stressful scenario. Previously, she had her number in her name but 2yrs ago O2 said they could do a better deal, if they merged. And thus, it went under Dad's name.

So Mum called O2, in actual fact, they were really rather unhelpful AND unsupportive of the whole situation. They told her bluntly, SHE COULD NOT TAKE OVER THE CONTRACT IN HER NAME, SHE CAN NOT TAKE OUT A NEW CONTRACT RETAINING HER NUMBER. If the number was to be moved to another contract is would still have to be in Dad's name.

O2 went as far as spouting LAW & telling my upset, stressed out, emotional Mum who's husband of 35yrs is lying next to her dying, but he's trying to help her & keep her calm, that she needs to get a POWER OF ATTORNEY. This basically means that she'd have to wait until Dad died or lost his faculties near death, before they would CONSIDER doing anything. Dad still has all his marbles, he is fully aware and capable of managing his affairs. He was willing to give O2 permission in any way they wanted so that my Mum can keep her mobile phone number.

You may be asking why Mum's so bothered. It's her lifeline, her contact with people who know her and Dad. When Dad dies, company's know her number. At the most vulnerable time in my Dad's life, his wife is upset. He can't help her. She's having to cope with everything else, she didn't need this. She doesn't need to get another number, call EVERYONE, friends, family, dig out financial papers to call businesses to update people of the change. She deserves to spent to last of my Dads time next to him, going to the hospice, going to hospital appointments, being there when the nurses visit daily.
NOT on the phone or internet. NOT writing letters or filling out forms.

This means a lot to my Mum. So it means a lot to ME.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

Due to the sensitive nature of this I think I will tag our community manager @Toby and ask for his help.

There is also a complaints link should you wish to follow it http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I would like to end by wishing you and your family all the best in this horrible situation you find yourselves in.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous An awful situation and not helped by people being obstructive and uncaring. @MI5 has tagged Toby the Head of community and I am sure he will do his very best to help you in this situation you find yourselves in...

Thoughts are with you, your Mum and family at this sad sad time. heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

This may sound totally callous but I have dealt with O2 when a dear friend passed away. Before that I hadto sort out my beloved wifes account when she passed away. If and when the worst happens I can assure you that O2 will be sympathetic. You shouldn't have to worry at the moment about a secondary concern and hopefully @Toby can help. Be strong and support your family, it's a phone number and you can inform the people that matter. Your priorities are with your parents which is as it should be. Unfortunately your circumstances matter nothing to O2 at the moment so concentrate on helping mum. These things have a tendency for everything to fall into place but please don't stress yourself. Be there for your mum, this is just another hurdle in life which you will be able to clear.

Message 8 of 9

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm Toby, the Community Head. I'm very sorry to hear about the situation you're in and feel free to send me a private message so that we can discuss your options.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 9