cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I am leaving O2 and have been advised by O2 Agents by phone that I can cancel my contract by phone, without any penalty. My last contract payment is 25 April and the contract ends on 25th May. O2 have issued a PAC code (yesterday) which I can use between 25 April - 19th May which will create the final bill, there will be no cancellation charges (I asked them quite specifically twice about this timescale).

Does this sound correct? I have heard from a collegue that they also cancelled in a simillar way but were subsequently presented with a cancellation charge even after paying thier final monthly bill in full because the cancelation was done before that final bill was paid.

As I specifically asked both the customer service rep and then the retentions/cancellation rep about this I am not expecting any additional charges.

Any community experience of this sort of thing? Ive been concerned about O2 behaviours since they hit me for a mid contract Tarriff increase (the one just before the regulators banned MNOs from doing it) plus RPI increases as well during my 24mth contract.

Regards

Ian

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, what you have been told is correct but you are not entirely correct about the banning of RPI increases. OFCOM said they couldn't do it unless their intent was published and O2 did this by quite clearly stating that there would be RPI increases every year.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

All the information you need on cancelling a contract is in this help link here

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/highlight/true#M56526

To add...you are advised not to cancel your direct debit until O2 have billed you for the final payment.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 16

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, what you have been told is correct but you are not entirely correct about the banning of RPI increases. OFCOM said they couldn't do it unless their intent was published and O2 did this by quite clearly stating that there would be RPI increases every year.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
The pac you have been given will then generate a final bill & any fees left to pay
Message 4 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Do not cancel your Direct Debit until all final bills have been paid.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

The cancellation guide makes no reference to either of the following issues I had with cancelling my contract that might be of interest to other customers looking to cancel their contract.

1.  Your device might be locked to the o2 network (even if you are out of contract) and it can take up to 7 days to receive a code to unlock it.  They will not volunteer this information when you request your PAC code, so you need to request it at least 7 days before you actually want to switch. 

If your phone is locked to o2, when you come to insert your sim card from your new provider, you will see a message like "Enter network unlock code" and you will be unable to use your phone.  If, like me, your number has already transferred to the new sim card, you will be left without a working phone until o2 provides you with the code. You can request the code for free using the online form https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form or by giving them the details over the phone but they say it can take up to 7 days to receive it. I couldn't be without a phone for 7 days, so ended up using an online 3rd party service that provided it within 10 minutes but it cost £15. Annoyingly, I actually got the code from o2 about 6 hours later!  Legally, o2 have to provide the unlock code free of charge but there isn't any stipulation about how long they can take to process it.  It evidently doesn't actually take 7 days because 3rd parties can do it a lot quicker (for a fee), so it gives me the impression o2 are deliberately being awkard because they don't care about customers that are leaving them and are just meeting their legal obligation.

2. If you cancel mid-billing period, you will be due a refund but you have to request it to get your money back. If your account is in credit when you receive your final bill, the email notification that your bill is ready will simply say "there is nothing to pay this month" even though money is actually due to you!  However, if you view your bill online, you will see that it says "If you have a credit on your final bill, please go to www.o2.co.uk/finalbillrefund and we'll arrange to have this refunded to you."  The implcation being that, if you don't complete the form, you won't get your money back!  

I can understand why companies don't care about customers that are leaving them but, by making the process (in my opinion) unecessarily difficult, they are ensuring that ex-customers stay that way.  I certainly won't be going back.  

Message 6 of 16

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Correct but there are additional guides on the forum to cover the issues you raise.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 16

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

We always advise people to get their phone unlocked before ending their contract but yes I do agree about the credit refund. Most companies automatically pay back into your account.

Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I've always had money refunded automatically.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 16

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 10 of 16