cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling a contract for my ill father who is unable to do it himself

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wondering if I could get some advice on this, as both O2 customer services via telephone and in store haven't been at all helpful. 

My dad is currently in hospital and for his birthday my mum got him a new contract on O2 with a smartphone as he had yet to upgrade. We were told on the phone that because of the circumstances, we would be able to cancel his current contract (with o2) in store because it is actually due for an upgrade. We have then been told in store that we cannot do anything about this contract because it is in his name, which means my parents are now paying £80 a month. I am not even communicating with my dad via the phone right now as he is unable to speak, only by text, which means it is impossible for him to cancel his contract despite wanting to. Is there any way I can be assisted with this before it ends up costing my parents considerably more than they signed up for? I just want to know if there is a way that I can communicate on his behalf that they will accept.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I'm sorry to hear of your families situation.

You can put the situation forward to
Customer services by http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain detailing everything and see what they say.

As he is the account holder I can see why O2 are not able to Assist you but they may help depending on the severity of the situation. A hospital letter may help !

Edit ; a self help guide on cancelling a contract http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I'm sorry to hear of your families situation.

You can put the situation forward to
Customer services by http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain detailing everything and see what they say.

As he is the account holder I can see why O2 are not able to Assist you but they may help depending on the severity of the situation. A hospital letter may help !

Edit ; a self help guide on cancelling a contract http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I will look into this. Yes unfortunately I am starting to think I will need to get some sort of proof that he's unable to deal with the situation himself! It's a shame although I understand their reluctance.

Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Sorry to hear about your Father and I hope he gets well soon.  I would of thought O2 would show some compassion towards your situation.  I would keep having a go at them until they listen an take action.

Message 4 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I wonder if, due to the Op's circumstances that @Toby  may be able to assist in this one?

Its bad enough to find your parents in this plight... without having to sort this out...and getting nowhere slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you, I will look into this. Yes unfortunately I am starting to think I will need to get some sort of proof that he's unable to deal with the situation himself! It's a shame although I understand their reluctance.

If this is the case...your fathers doctor should be able to give you a letter explaining all this...Good luck

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all, if anyone has been in a similar circumstance i'd be interested to hear it given how difficult these situatons can be when someone's health is at the centre of it. I've reassured my parents that i will do what i can (my mother suffers from mental health issues and stress is the biggest trigger) but on the phone O2 had all the compassion and understanding but it was a very different story in the shop. 

I don't particularly want to ask for a letter for a phone company but I feel i've little choice!

Message 7 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
CAB advice here http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/relationships_ni/relationships_looking_after_people_e/managin...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

I understand you being hesitant but anything what will lend weight to the situation will help.
Message 9 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Just follow the correct legal advice supplied by CAB.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 18