cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see why I'm getting a bill for text messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm currently overseas in the Middle East and I know from previous expereince that text and call charges are ruinous on my O2 phone.

To stop any charges, I have switched off cellular data and also ensured that under messages ( iPhone 5 ) the 'Send as SMS' option is off. This has been the way since I landed in the region.

I've just got my new bill and there are £27 worth of text message charges and I can't see how that's the case ?

Have I missed something obvious ??

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

it's a free number from overseas. Have a look in My O2 under recent charges for exactly what you have been charged for. There should be dates , times and numbers listed.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22945 Posts
  • 1023 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Your tariff doesn't include sending texts or making calls from abroad. To see what it is costing, take a look here and put in the country you're in:  http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

The only way you can use your included texts and minutes when abroad is to use the TuGo app over a WiFi connection. Otherwise you will be charged for the calls and texts you make.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the point I'm making. I have turned off cellular services and the 'send as SMS' option, so how am I still getting billed for text messages ?

Any messages I have sent have been over iMessage on a Wi-Fi connection in my apartment.

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Or maybe more accurately, how am I still sending text messages, which are billable, when I have the option to send them switched off ?
Message 4 of 10

Bambino
  • 22945 Posts
  • 1023 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Sorry. I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you were sending texts in the normal way. I'm not an iPhone person, so I can't help regarding anything to do with those phones. I'm sure another community member who has an iPhone would be better suited to helping your query. There are also O2 employees who occassionally contribute here in a private capacity, so they might be able to give you an answer.

Alternatively, you can call Customer Services on +44 844 809 0200, which is free from your mobile, but it would mean that you would have to turn your cellular services on to make the call.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for taking the time to have a look anyway slight_smile

I'm still out of the country,  which means I can't really call easily ( or cheaply ), so I hope some iPhone savvy soul can shed some light on things.

Message 6 of 10

Bambino
  • 22945 Posts
  • 1023 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

No problem. As I said in my post above, the number in that post is free from your mobile.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is in the UK. I'm still out of the country though.

Message 8 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

it's a free number from overseas. Have a look in My O2 under recent charges for exactly what you have been charged for. There should be dates , times and numbers listed.

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've already looked there, that's how I know what the bill is for.

It's listed under 'roaming text messages non-EU' and there are 61 messages at various times and dates throughout the month, listed as SMS Message Centre.

I'm pretty sure that I understand the billing system. What I don't understand is that with cellular services switched off ( and the Send as SMS feature off too ), I can still be billed for text messages, which would indicate that the phone isn't accepting those settings and just doing what the hell it wants ?

Message 10 of 10