cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make Calls or texts but Data works?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So a weird one. - Last night around 7pm I suddenly lost my signal. My phone was searching all night, then around 3am it came back.. However, I could only use Mobile data and was unable to make calls or texts. 

When I try to make calls or texts, I get the notice mobile network not available. 

I've done the usual and then some (quite tech savvy with phones being an XDA user) reset the radio using the hidden menu, searched new networks, reflashed back to total stock firmware etc.

If i check the live status checker for my postcode it says everything is working fine.

Even now I have a perfect data connection and can use it fine, but can't make calls or texts and it shows GSM calls are disconnected.

Tried the sim in another device and it also does the same..

Is this happening to anyone else? or is it just me? 

York is where I am.

I know loss of service can and does happen, but when you can access parts of your service and not the parts you actually rely on is a bit of a pain.

Regards,

Mark

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

That was my first thought as yours are classic symptoms but I thought you said you had tried your sim in another phone with the same results?

"Tried the sim in another device and it also does the same.."

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 17

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Probably down to customer adviser error but at least you know the problem now. It takes a few days to get it unblocked though. Hopefully it will be resolved on your return.

Message 12 of 17

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Doesn't explain the sim not working in a different phone though.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
@MI5 - Yeah I got the same results on the Z1 - Data works but calls/texts won't. I'm finding this all very very weird... SIM and Phone blocked? unsure how this has actually happened...Not very impressed currently, especially with leaving the country very very shortly!

I'd understand if I hadn't paid my bill, but I actually have done, least that way I'd know it was my fault lol

@jonsie
I'm hoping it's just a massive mess up somewhere and actually hoping that carelessness and someone's human error has caused this.

I can accept human error, it's part of life. For now, I'll wait and see what they get back to me with.
Message 14 of 17

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Is possible if the phone was barred in error then it would naturally follow they would bar the sim too.

Message 15 of 17

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Quite true jonsie.... Good point.
Hopefully you can press the security checks on your account and O2 can reverse it immediately - Might not come back on until midnight though when the systems all sync together.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good to hear you got to the bottom of the issue.
Message 17 of 17