cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call sim verses Data sim

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just purchased a Sim free Sony Xperia Z3 tablet model SGP621 which has 3G & 4G capabilities. I would like some advice on which sim to put in it. I know it needs a nano sim, but do I need a call sim or data sim? My mobile contract with O2 is PAYG using the same sim card as supplied with my original Nokia which was with BT Cellnet. I have never been one for making calls or sending texts (less than 100 in a Year), so PAYG suits me fine as I use Wi-Fi in the main for data access. I want to keep my existing mobile for making calls in the UK as it is more handy to carry. However I do envisage using the tablet to send text messages particularly when overseas on holiday where Wi-Fi can be hit and miss.

Ideally I would like to have the same mobile no, so I was thinking of getting a call nano sim and transfer the existing credit and number from my old BT Cellnet sim to the new one so that I can send & receive text's on the tablet  when overseas and then get a sim adapter so that I can put the new sim into my old mobile as this is more portable when in the UK. However it has been suggested that I need a data sim for the tablet as opposed to a call sim. If I choose this option is it possible send & receive texts from one and also make phone calls if required in an emergency? 

Message 1 of 34
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Yes you are correct.
Apologies the z3 does have call functions so therefore you can use any sim.
based on low usage there should be no reason why you can't pop your current sim in when abroad for the uses mentioned.
I personally have a data sim in my z tablet as i would purely use it for data But if my uses were lower I would consider your scenario.
Opologies for my earlier confusion.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions

O2's data sims do come with a text allowance and your PAYG sim would be very expensive to use data on, for the amounts a tablet is likely to use.
You can also use apps to send messages from your tablet to other smartphones with the same apps and some will do calls to, such as BBM and Viber etc.

Skype can be used to make emergency calls if required....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do need ability to send messages to my better half who does not have or desire a smartphone. She has an old Nokia 2330. On my existing smartphone I use my home network for downloading app data and pay £3.00 a month bolt on which works fine. When overseas I pay the daily £1.99 charge, but tend to have data roaming turned off by default and where Wi-Fi is good enough (in Greece this is rare) I will use that. I would envisage doing same with new one. Where there is no Wi-Fi it would probably be turned off.

Message 3 of 34

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
You will need a data sim anyway as you cannot make calls on the tablet.
Your best bet is to get a data sim and use one of the Skype style caller apps for voice contact.

Message 4 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could the OP not use his sim in his phone and TuGo on the tablet to send texts?
Message 5 of 34

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I think op is on payg and i dont think tugo is supported for pay and go customers.
Message 6 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Further to this, I have located user guide at Sonymobile.com which does confirm that it is possible to make and receive calls on the SGP621 variant of the Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. 

Message 7 of 34

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Yes you are correct.
Apologies the z3 does have call functions so therefore you can use any sim.
based on low usage there should be no reason why you can't pop your current sim in when abroad for the uses mentioned.
I personally have a data sim in my z tablet as i would purely use it for data But if my uses were lower I would consider your scenario.
Opologies for my earlier confusion.
Message 8 of 34

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I was wondering about putting a sim in my tablet. I've never had Payg so I'm a bit confused. Do you need to pay a fixed amount to keep your sim connected or do you just top up when you need data? X

Obvs want to keep my pay monthly sim in my phone x

giphy-3
Message 9 of 34

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

What tablet do you have @Cairdeas? I might call @viridis in on this one. My tablet has a datapass in it. I just top that up when needed...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 34