O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Pay Monthly and Pay & Go

Level 2: Apprentice
callum9999

Call costs while abroad

Does O2 do anything that is comparable to the Vodafone passport scheme? I would look myself but it keeps blocking me because I'm browsing from abroad.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 212
Kudos: 891
Solutions: 971

Call costs while abroad

no unfortunatly there is a my europe bolton but not the same as passport
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 212
Kudos: 891
Solutions: 971

Call costs while abroad

[ Edited ]
passport
What is Vodafone Passport?
Opting in to Vodafone Passport means you'll pay your standard home rate to call the UK from over 35 European countries - and from Australia and New Zealand.
Whenever you make a call back to the UK, or within the country you're visiting, there's a 75p connection charge. Then you'll pay your home rate for the time you spend on the call. You can even use your Freedom Pack or inclusive minutes.
When you receive a call, you'll pay the 75p connection charge - and then you can talk for up to 60 minutes free of charge. After that you'll pay 20p a minute.
Sending a text to the UK costs just 11p - but you can't use your inclusive texts abroad.

ITS
What is International Traveller Service?
International Traveller Service (ITS) is perfect if you travel worldwide and it could save you up to 80% on your calls when abroad.
It offers discounts for:
Calls back to the UK while abroad
Calls to countries in the same World Zone
Calls "in-country" while abroad
Receiving calls while abroad
So if you're using your phone from anywhere in the world, ITS is for you.
Find out more about ITS for:
Pay Monthly
Business
International Traveller Service is not available to Pay & Go customers.

http://www.o2international.co.uk/callin ... s/its.aspx
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
callum9999

Call costs while abroad

[ Edited ]
passport
What is Vodafone Passport?
Opting in to Vodafone Passport means you'll pay your standard home rate to call the UK from over 35 European countries - and from Australia and New Zealand.
Whenever you make a call back to the UK, or within the country you're visiting, there's a 75p connection charge. Then you'll pay your home rate for the time you spend on the call. You can even use your Freedom Pack or inclusive minutes.
When you receive a call, you'll pay the 75p connection charge - and then you can talk for up to 60 minutes free of charge. After that you'll pay 20p a minute.
Sending a text to the UK costs just 11p - but you can't use your inclusive texts abroad.

ITS
What is International Traveller Service?
International Traveller Service (ITS) is perfect if you travel worldwide and it could save you up to 80% on your calls when abroad.
It offers discounts for:
Calls back to the UK while abroad
Calls to countries in the same World Zone
Calls "in-country" while abroad
Receiving calls while abroad
So if you're using your phone from anywhere in the world, ITS is for you.
Find out more about ITS for:
Pay Monthly
Business
International Traveller Service is not available to Pay & Go customers.

http://www.o2international.co.uk/callin ... s/its.aspx

Thanks but thats still hugely more expensive than vodafone. I guess I can just take a Vodafone PAYG sim with me in future.
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
DonDino2

Call costs while abroad

I found My Europe Extra to be loads cheaper than Vodafone Passport!

Most of my calls when I was on holiday in Greece were between 1 and 2 minutes, so with O2 I was spending between 25p and 50p per call, while with Vodafone it would have been more like 75p per call... Also receiving calls was completely free (Vodafone charges for that as well don't they).

If you make long-duration calls and speak for hours then yes I can see how Vodafone is cheaper.
Please use plain text.
callum9999

Call costs while abroad

I found My Europe Extra to be loads cheaper than Vodafone Passport!
Most of my calls when I was on holiday in Greece were between 1 and 2 minutes, so with O2 I was spending between 25p and 50p per call, while with Vodafone it would have been more like 75p per call... Also receiving calls was completely free (Vodafone charges for that as well don't they).
If you make long-duration calls and speak for hours then yes I can see how Vodafone is cheaper.

Ah you are probably right about Europe, I've been using vodafone passport in Australia though where it is a LOT cheaper. I guess I'm not going to be here every year though so its not really a big problem!

Actually, if My Europe Extra is 10 pounds a month, then vodafone passport still beats it I think (for me personally anyway) as its free.
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
DonDino2

Call costs while abroad

Yes it depends on usage I guess.

I was using it quite regularly when on holiday, so when I punched in the numbers, it actually came out as the cheaper option evan at a £10 premium. But with less usage, it would probably be best not to have used My Europe Extra.
Please use plain text.