cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for emoticons (smiley faces) as MMS/picture messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had a good look through the forum but can not see anything like this problem.

A friend of mine had a large bill come through this month and contacted 02 customer service.

Basically she was told her bill was so high because she had used above and beyond her MMS/picture message qouta which she refused to except but was told that a Emoticon (smiley face) counted as a MMS/picture message.

Has anybody encountered this or confirm or decline this??

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 104
103 REPLIES 103

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23073 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

O2's policy regarding this needs to be made more clear. There shouldn't be any differentiation from phone to phone.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 31 of 104

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Yea, just got a reply from Shikha in Customer Service. I get charged for sending emoticons on my S4 as well, not the fancy schmancy ones either, just the regular colon/ line/ parentheses assembly. Can o2 legally charge for the configuration of characters you send? If so, what's to prevent them from arbitrarily charging for other combinations of letters and symbols? Funnily enough, I was never charged for length of message or emoticon when I had an iphone. I see this charge as potentially fraudulent/ an abuse of customer trust, and given how hard o2 make it to get a straight answer regarding their charging policy in this respect, I suspect they know it too! Might be interesting to investigate...I shall be sharing this little nugget widely...

Have you checked the possible reasons here:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,T=guruCase,VARSET_COBJID=52283,Problem=Obj%2852283%29,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mobile%29

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 32 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable
On my S4 before the upgrade to 4.3 I had to click on the button to the left of the home key which brought up a selection of smiley faces. These were not converted to mms and were not charged.

However 4.3 saw an extra button next to Sym on the key pad with lots of colourful emoticons. I clicked on one and it changed the message to mms and I got charged.

So now I stick to the first format above and I am NOT being charged. If I put in 🙂 I don't get charged either.

Hope that helps.
Message 33 of 104

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
You can turn off the auto conversion to MMS in the settings. That way you either get a warning or it won;t send as an MMS at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 34 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI, I have just have a long 'chat' to Kenny from O2 regarding a charge on my account. He repeatedly confirmed that I would be charged for any smiley including :-))

Not very impressed with the answers I received. I have sent 4 picture messages this month yet my extra charge was £7.58. The only smiley's I use are the above. I have been with O2 for years but have recently changed my tariff to 12 month sim only as I do not want to upgrade just now. I think this may be the final contract with them unless this is resolved.

Message 35 of 104

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
You don't get charged for :-)) so it must be for something else.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 36 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5 is right

Have a good look at your recent charges in myo2

Message 37 of 104

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Are you sure those Charges relate to mms messages? I.e. ho many is it showing you sent on the breakdown of your bill?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 38 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep this does seem to be correct.  My other half has been wondering why his bills have increased over past couple of month and when he logged onto his account it did say he had used over the 20 mms he gets free each month.  He said he had not sent one mms and was told by o2 that on 'some' phones a smiley in a text is classed as an mms. He has not changed his phone for 2 year so Im not sure it is the type of phone or something o2 have brought in and not made anyone aware and are blaming certain types of phone. 

Message 39 of 104

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

See my link above for the reasons this happens and how to avoid it.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 40 of 104