cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for emoticons (smiley faces) as MMS/picture messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had a good look through the forum but can not see anything like this problem.

A friend of mine had a large bill come through this month and contacted 02 customer service.

Basically she was told her bill was so high because she had used above and beyond her MMS/picture message qouta which she refused to except but was told that a Emoticon (smiley face) counted as a MMS/picture message.

Has anybody encountered this or confirm or decline this??

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 104
103 REPLIES 103

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Thanks for the explanation MI5! Do you guys think we should perhaps create a short guide that I could sticky about this? As MI5 says, its a common issue.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 91 of 104

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Toby, some O2 advice here but I'm sure one of us could expand on it... http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),C...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 92 of 104

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
If anyone would like to volunteer then by all means let me know wink

Another thing while I have you MI5, I'm trying to ensure that your thread where you've collated all guides is sign-posted more effectively. While its sticky'd in its own section, I want to make sure its really easy to access for everyone. I'll see what can be done!

I may also shamelessly copy you and collate all the reviews in a similar thread slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 93 of 104

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Toby wrote:
Thanks for the explanation MI5! Do you guys think we should perhaps create a short guide that I could sticky about this? As MI5 says, its a common issue.

I think an updated guide would be of benefit @Toby  It does seem to be phone make and smiley type dependent?

IF I use smilies at all they are only the little green ones incorporated into my S3....hence no charge.

This particular thread was started in November 2012 so does need updating as it seems to be an ongoing problem?

Not volunteering however Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 94 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys.

I can't believe o2 don't know what is going on. I knew it 2 minutes in to the topic...

Let me explain it to you. The problem is not with o2 but with your handset.

Until now to put a smiley face in the text you had to manually type : and ). Recipients phone converted it to a smiley face for user convenience. Some handsets actually make it easier for you by giving you an option of inserting a smiley, but it's just a short cut to insert a combination of characters in to text.

If you insert this kind of smiley in to text and send it to a really old phone, the reciptient will see it as : - ) and not a slight_smile

Now there is a new things that came from US called "EMOJIS". They wanted more options than just 5-10 faces. And the only way of achieving this is to insert a small image in to text which will convert your message to mms. I guess mms are free over there...

THE CURE:

1. Either manually type smileys from your keyboard using symbols like : ) ( - ;  etc.

2. Check your keyboard (I'm using samsung S5) for options. When I type, I have a smiley icon which gives me access to a ton of smileys and other pictures THESE ARE EMOJIS and they will convert to mms asoon as you use them.

This keyboard have an option to assign words and shortcuts to number keys. You figure out the rest slight_smile

3. You can install 3rd party keyboard without emojis....

Your welcome.

Message 95 of 104

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I think many of us regular community members knew that @Anonymous 

Problem is, some new smartphone users dont and come on here asking why their bill is so high...

This is a subject that keeps being asked time and time again ...

However thanks for your input wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 96 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I have read through all 10 pages and couldn't see an explanation for the "non regular" members so here you go.

Might help someone googling for their life in the future.

Message 97 of 104

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions
Sorry I was making the point that there are numerous threads on this topic. This is why we are suggesting a sticky be made slight_smile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 98 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I'm sorr that my complicated life is an inconvenience to your perfect existance...

Have a good weekend wink

Message 99 of 104

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Not sure why the sarcastic comments are needed? It was just being pointed out that many people have asked this question and we have requested it to be made a sticky on the community.

However, any input is welcomed especially for customers searching for answers after suffering these charges.

Message 100 of 104