cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for emoticons (smiley faces) as MMS/picture messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had a good look through the forum but can not see anything like this problem.

A friend of mine had a large bill come through this month and contacted 02 customer service.

Basically she was told her bill was so high because she had used above and beyond her MMS/picture message qouta which she refused to except but was told that a Emoticon (smiley face) counted as a MMS/picture message.

Has anybody encountered this or confirm or decline this??

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 104
103 REPLIES 103

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Haha great joke poor circumstances slight_smile
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 21 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just changed from Pay as you Go to a contract.  I have an iphone (always have) and have now been charged for sending emoticons........ but i didn't on PAYG??!!  I have been into the store and contacted the CS.  They first tried to tell me it was Apple's fault, then they changed their mind and said O2 convert emoticons into picture messages!!!  Apparently, the PAYG account I was on was old and therefore didn't charge for smiley faces???!!  Wish i'd stayed on PAYG then!  It annoys me because firends & family on other networks dont get charged - wish i'd changed supplier!!

They also mentioned a 160 character limit - anything over can change your message to MMS.......... that cant be true surely??

Message 22 of 104

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
As you have an iPhone turn off the subject line and MMS in settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  MMS is turned off though so I really dont understand!  O2 dont seem to be consistent with their charging AND they dont tell you that they will charge for such things slight_frown (how ironic they offer smileys on this forum!!! ha ha).

Message 24 of 104

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just discovered I'm being charged for this too on my Galaxy S4 - they are sending them as MMS - scandalous!!
Message 26 of 104

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Turn on MMS Converstion warning in message app settings then you'll know in future.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, just got a reply from Shikha in Customer Service. I get charged for sending emoticons on my S4 as well, not the fancy schmancy ones either, just the regular colon/ line/ parentheses assembly. Can o2 legally charge for the configuration of characters you send? If so, what's to prevent them from arbitrarily charging for other combinations of letters and symbols? Funnily enough, I was never charged for length of message or emoticon when I had an iphone. I see this charge as potentially fraudulent/ an abuse of customer trust, and given how hard o2 make it to get a straight answer regarding their charging policy in this respect, I suspect they know it too! Might be interesting to investigate...I shall be sharing this little nugget widely...

Message 28 of 104

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Something very wrong with that practice....
It needs a proper investigation. I've never been charged for a : - ) smiley and would be pretty annoyed if I was, too!!

Currently using:
Message 29 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Something very wrong with that practice....
It needs a proper investigation. I've never been charged for a : - ) smiley and would be pretty annoyed if I was, too!!

same here, never been charged either on my Samsung or iPhone...

Message 30 of 104