cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these legitimate O2 Sales phone numbers - Gave details and worried now.

Cas1951
Level 3: Thinker
  • 55 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can't get through to O2 helpline and they close at 9pm, and Live-chat is "too busy" it seems. So can anyone here please put my mind at rest and confirm if these are legitimate O2 sales team phone numbers?

A man from O2 (think he said his name was Alan) called me on both these numbers today, and convinced me to upgrade from pay and go to a Simplicity unlimited contract. It sounded a good deal so I agreed, and he said I would receive an email confirming the contract and direct debit details which I had agreed to. However the email received does not confirm anything about it, except it does confirm the order number which he had quoted over the phone.

Really worried now as I had given my Bank Debit card details and other personal details. Am I worrying for nothing? Been trying to find where to track my order here on the site in "My O2" but can't find anything about tracking orders in there.

Cas

Message 1 of 72
71 REPLIES 71

Cas1951
  • 55 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Cas, I'm not suggesting you've done anything wrong or that it's a dodgy deal. Just that you should always know who you are dealing with and the only way to be sure is to make contact yourself.
Hope all is OK for you slight_smile

@Cleoriff @Anonymous  @MI5

Thanks for your support last night in helping me stay sane!!

An update:

The man on the phone yesterday had said a 10p fee would be taken to check it was my bank account before any Direct Debit would be set up - or words to that effect. Phoned bank, they confirmed a 10p amount had been taken via my mastercard, paid to "phone services" - but no mention of O2. 

Phoned O2 customer service, took about 2 hours this morning before I eventually was able to get through and speak to someone, then fortunately he was very helpful and took time to look into it all.

All details confirmed that it was all ligit, that the cold-caller yesterday was working for O2 and the order was showing in my O2 account, a new sim card was being sent to me, etc, and he reassured me that my mastercard & bank details are quite safe. But he agreed that the cold-calling scenario is not good and shouldn't respond to those sort of calls (yep I know, & sure won't ever again!). HOWEVER I'm still angry because the "cold-caller" had not kept his word to send me all the contract details in an email for me to read before I go ahead with it - and yet it was obviously going ahead! ............  

and in conclusion............  I have cancelled the order, and told them when I want to upgrade at a later date I'll do it through the normal route.

@Anonymous re your earlier reply about the "Contact Us" page etc - yes I totally agree!

Message 21 of 72

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144078 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Well done Cas and glad you're sorted.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 72

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Excellent news @Cas1951. Maybe if more people took this stance it would save hours of needless ' with hindsight' worries.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 72

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad it is working out OK for you @Cas1951 -  but as I think we all agree you ought never to have been put in the situation where it was necessary.   However, all who read this topic will have learned a valuable lesson - so thank you for drawing it to attention in an intelligent and measured way. 

Message 24 of 72

Cas1951
  • 55 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
And you all helped, thank you!!
Message 25 of 72

MI5
  • 144078 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Our pleasure.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 72

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
I've been keeping up with this thread, so glad you've cancelled as it might (I know, it won't) give O2 an incline that we in general don't like being cold called!

Heyho, you're sorted now!
Message 27 of 72

Cas1951
  • 55 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@gindygoo wrote:
I've been keeping up with this thread, so glad you've cancelled as it might (I know, it won't) give O2 an incline that we in general don't like being cold called!

Heyho, you're sorted now!

@gindygoo  thanks for your interest. It doesn't appear to be sorted yet though! Since my phone call to O2 support on Thursday (3rd Sept)  when the man confirmed it would all be cancelled, I then yesterday (Friday 4th) actually received the new (and unwanted) sim card. Now checked  "My O2" page and under details referring to the new sim's mobile number (& the monthly contract supposed to be cancelled) - it shows a "Latest Bill"  which includes......

"You were billed on 5th September / Payment due on 19th September ...

Your next bill will arrive in 29 days on 5th Oct 2015"

Under the "Tariff" section, I see that the monthly due amount shown is £3 higher than the amount that the "cold-caller" had quoted. He'd also said that, though I will have to pay the first month in Sept, the second month (Oct) would be free because the current balance on my pay and go credit will more than cover it and would be transferred! So all this obviously also untrue!

What I'll do now - give it until Monday, then check again if it's been corrected in "My O2", and if not, will phone my bank again to ensure no direct debit will be paid on 19th Sept, or at all. So - to be continued!!

PS LATER EDITED - made correction.

Message 28 of 72

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Good luck with this. Have you received any information from o2 such as emails with the agreed tariff?

Message 29 of 72

Cas1951
  • 55 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie No, that was another thing that the "cold-caller" had promised - ie, an email confirming all the details he had given to me on the phone, including the monthly tariff & direct debit amount. Never received that email which was what started my suspicions.

Just discovered this email address for making complaints > complaintreviewservice@o2.com at the page http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain ....... will do that, I think.

Message 30 of 72