O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Pay Monthly and Pay & Go

Level 1: Joiner
garethjmsaunder

Are there O2 network issues today?

Whenever I try to call from my O2 phone (I've got an O2 Xda Orbit) today I'm just getting a "Network Busy..." error, or the call just drops out after trying to dial for a while. In fact, just now I've got a "Cannot complete the call. The signal may be unavailable..." error.

Funny thing is that my wife's getting exactly the same issue with her Motorola phone.

The signal indicator on both phones seems to fluctuate from "Looking for a signal" or at most one or two bars, in areas that it usually has a full signal. This has been true for me in St Andrews (Fife) where I work and Anstruther, where I live, which is about 10 miles away.

Ever so often we've been able to either send a text or receive a phone call, but it would appear to me that it's unlikely that both our phones have gone down at the same time and is more likely to be a network issue.

Anyone else having this issue too? Could anyone from O2 confirm whether it's a network thing?

Thanks

Gareth
Anstruther, Fife UK
Please use plain text.
stephenbd

O2 network coverage

My wife and I have had the same problem today and have been unable to use our phones all day due to no network coverage.

I've just contacted customer services and was advised to change SIM card etc with an old phone which I did-no network received on any phones I tried. I did tell them that my wife's phone was also affected. Customer services didn't say whether there was a general fault or not.
Please use plain text.
garethjmsaunder

Yes

Shortly after I'd posted on this forum, I telephoned Customer Support and spoke to a very nice Scottish man called Mark who confirmed that there has been a major network outage that has affected East Scotland, mostly around the Edinburgh area but there have been reports of it affecting other parts of Fife, including Kirkcaldy and now Anstruther and St Andrews.

The advice I got was to switch off the phone, remove the battery and SIM card then reassemble it again and if I still couldn't connect then it was more than likely that there was still a network issue, and I'd just have to patiently wait it out. The engineers are working on it and will get it back up and running as soon as possible.

He pointed out that via the O2 website you can send up to 10 free text messages, which was kind.

We just wait, then ... but it was refreshing to have a straight, honest answer from an IT-related Customer Support person. So thank you O2 Customer Support.

Gareth J M Saunders
Anstruther
Please use plain text.
sarahjanebarr

I just posted about this in the pay as you go section!!! I've been more than 12 hours without network coverage now!!!
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
ginniebean

Me Too

I live between Leslie and Kinross (Fife) and I have had a tiny amount of signal today. Enough to send texts (though i have stopped recieving them now) and make a couple of short crackly phone calls.
I too spoke to a chap at Customer services who couldnt tell me much cause the computers were down.
I hope they fix this soon. Its ridiculous how cut off I feel.
x Ginnie
Please use plain text.
sarahjanebarr

Well i'm in glenrothes, like i said its been more than 12 hours down for me. not sending or receiving anything. I feel like my arm's been cut off!! and the dam rabbits chewed the house phoone cable so cant even get calls in the house!!! :mansurprised:
Please use plain text.
rosstheboss

I've been having this exact same problem all day today. The signal strength jumping around erracticly and often giving me Limited service or SOS calls only messages. I've been able to recieve a few texts but am having problems sending them and I've had no calls at all today and not been able to make any.

I'm in Glenrothes by the way.

Hope this is sorted tomorrow as I use the phone for business!!
Please use plain text.
sarahjanebarr

someones just msg'd on my post in the payg section saying it's going to be down for 4 weeks
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
ginniebean

im sure they're supposed to fix newtwork failures sharpish. and if it was to go down for 4 weeks they'd have posted something somewhere telling us why.
and its such a huge catchment area. the chappy i spoke to said it was edinburgh aswell. and o2 arent going to want to piss off an entire city.....

.....i hope.

x
Please use plain text.
ell123

Re: Are there O2 network issues today?

Whenever I try to call from my O2 phone (I've got an O2 Xda Orbit) today I'm just getting a "Network Busy..." error, or the call just drops out after trying to dial for a while. In fact, just now I've got a "Cannot complete the call. The signal may be unavailable..." error.
Funny thing is that my wife's getting exactly the same issue with her Motorola phone.
The signal indicator on both phones seems to fluctuate from "Looking for a signal" or at most one or two bars, in areas that it usually has a full signal. This has been true for me in St Andrews (Fife) where I work and Anstruther, where I live, which is about 10 miles away.
Ever so often we've been able to either send a text or receive a phone call, but it would appear to me that it's unlikely that both our phones have gone down at the same time and is more likely to be a network issue.
Anyone else having this issue too? Could anyone from O2 confirm whether it's a network thing?
Thanks
Gareth
Anstruther, Fife UK
Please use plain text.