cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About a Tweet I Just Saw from @O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 just tweeted the following:

High five! On O2 Refresh your bills are automatically halved once you've paid off your phone: http://o2.uk/refresh  

I am on O2 refresh and it says I have about £280 left to pay on my phone but can settle early for £200. My airtime is £12.32 per month and I am on O2 600 24 month, so if I paid the £200 would my bill be £6.16 permonth (if I don't incur further charges)?

Or is it misleading people to think that and infact the halving comes from only paying the airtime and not both air timeand device?

Message 1 of 71
70 REPLIES 70

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Rycal wrote:

however one thing is for sure its got peoples attention and ultimately thats not such a bad thing.

Which is the whole point of today's advertising however it's communicated.......gone are the days when advertising sold products, now it's purely brand management and brand cognition.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 41 of 71

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Rycal wrote:

however one thing is for sure its got peoples attention and ultimately thats not such a bad thing.

Which is the whole point of today's advertising however it's communicated.......gone are the days when advertising sold products, now it's purely brand management and brand cognition.

With little or no regard to the truth ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 42 of 71

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 .....correct because the purpose has already concluded and cannot be reversed.

Once the idea has been suggested then the brain retains that........it's almost like the opposite of subliminal advertising.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 44 of 71

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Would love to know how this "paying for phones they've already paid off" is figured out.
Message 46 of 71

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis

I'm guessing it means those that have a contract @ say £37 for 12-24 months and don't get a new phone at the end of there contrct, that £37 would be for the phone and sim contract together. (Why sim only deals are cheaper for the same plan) So if they don't get a new phone at the end of your contract your still paying £37 a month on a new contract when in fact it should be lowered because some of that money payed for the phone you have.

Message 47 of 71

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I guess yeah, good point.
Message 48 of 71

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous

The old style contracts worked like this.

Contract say £37 per month (including a "free" or subsidised device). 24 month contract. At the end of 24 months unless you upgrade, change to sim only or cancel, you would carry on paying £37. As your contract included a phone, you would now be paying for a full contact price without a new phone. O2 see this as paying again for the same phone.

Hence refresh. At the end of the 24 months, if you do nothing the device plan stops. You only pay airtime. So you are not paying for the phone again.

It is simple really
Message 49 of 71

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just finished a chat conversation with o2 about this and here is some of the transcript:

Me: Your current offer says if a phone is paid off the bill will be halved automatically.
o2: Yes thats correct currently your tariff is £24 each month. If you pay off the phone it would be £18 each month.
o2: Could you help me with the link where do you see this information please ?
Chris: http://www.o2.co.uk/refresh
o2: Let me check
o2: Yes it states the bill halves.
o2: However there is nothing on the website that states it halves to 50%

---------------------------

There you have it!

Message 50 of 71