cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About a Tweet I Just Saw from @O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 just tweeted the following:

High five! On O2 Refresh your bills are automatically halved once you've paid off your phone: http://o2.uk/refresh  

I am on O2 refresh and it says I have about £280 left to pay on my phone but can settle early for £200. My airtime is £12.32 per month and I am on O2 600 24 month, so if I paid the £200 would my bill be £6.16 permonth (if I don't incur further charges)?

Or is it misleading people to think that and infact the halving comes from only paying the airtime and not both air timeand device?

Message 1 of 71
70 REPLIES 70

Rycal
Level 19: Quirky
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions

Its quite a bold advertising campaign and for me personally it's one that is actually quite misleading. As someone who tecnically works on the front line dealing with these campaigns it immediately puts us on the backfoot when dealing with customers who have seen this as we have to explain to them that the message is not entirely correct and that in their case their bill wont actually halve when they upgrade. It doesnt give a good first impression.

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.

Message 31 of 71

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yes I agree and you are sure to get calls from those of the remaining 37% who won't be seeing their bills halved.

Message 32 of 71

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Does anyone know if this tweet has been amended yet...?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 71

Anonymous
Not applicable
It won't be amended. They are using it on their TV advertising campaign now. Monthly bill will drop by half. Must be a new marketing campaign, great if you are on the bigger tariffs which is what o2 really want.
Message 34 of 71

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
It won't be amended. They are using it on their TV advertising campaign now. Monthly bill will drop by half. Must be a new marketing campaign, great if you are on the bigger tariffs which is what o2 really want.

So...the rest of the 'ordinary people' are destined for disappointment then.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 71

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would read that as anyone who has a tariff that doesn't drop by half can now get a discount ongoing to make it so.

I.e. refresh £20 handset and £30 airtime = £50 per month. At the end of the contract the £20 would end as the phone is paid off so o2 would have to give a £5 per month airtime discount to make the tariff halve overall.
Message 36 of 71

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Rycal who works for O2, feels it is quite misleading and will cause problems (from his post above)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 37 of 71

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm not sure they can sustain giving thousands of people a discount but there again, out of the millions of customers, I wonder just how many take the option of paying off early?

Message 38 of 71

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good point hidden in your message @jonsie. If people wanted cheaper airtime and could afford to, they could legitimately bypass the o2 intention by having millions of people paying off their phone plan early and getting cheaper airtime.

Now the businessman in me suggests this could be intentional. Get millions to pay off their devices. Telefonica get the £ and Three buy a business without the cash flow. Mmmmm
Message 39 of 71

Rycal
Level 19: Quirky
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Rycal who works for O2, feels it is quite misleading and will cause problems (from his post above)

I dont think theres any denying it could be clearer, the response I have received so far has been mixed - some customers and staff love it, some arent so keen - however one thing is for sure its got peoples attention and ultimately thats not such a bad thing.

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.

Message 40 of 71