cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G text said "O2 4G is here" but it isn't!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the 4G text saying:

O2: O2 4G is here. We're giving you access at no extra cost from 18 February.

After this date, visit http://s.o2.co.uk/got4G/qoMYRk to find out how to get set up so you can use 4G when out and about in 4G areas.

Check the My O2 app to keep track of your data.

Watch. Listen. Stream. All in glorious 4G. Terms apply. To stop texts, call 2220.

I clicked on the link and on that page it says:

How do I know if I'm in a 4G area? 

If your message from us said 'O2 4G is here' it means O2 4G coverage is available in the post code you registered with us. If your message said 'Get ready for O2 4G' then O2 4G isn't available in your postcode yet but you will still be able to use 4G when in a 4G coverage area. Keep using our coverage checker guide to know if you are in a 4G coverage area when out and about. 

So I concluded that 4G coverage is available in the postcode I registered with O2 (Exeter EX2).

I did the setup process and I now have "4G access" listed as a bolt on in My O2.

I don't have a 4G signal though...

To be honest, I wasn't expecting one, as Exeter is not on the 4G availability map, but it seems odd that the text said "O2 4G is here" implying that coverage is available.

Has anyone else had an "O2 4G is here" text in a non-4G area?

Cheers,
Al

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's see how this discussion has gone...

Question:  Has anyone else had an "O2 4G is here" text in a non-4G area?

Answer:  If you have a 4g SIM card and 4g phone you will get the text and set up.

Question:  Has anyone else had the 'O2 4G is here' text despite NOT being in a 4G coverage area?

Answer:  Yes, everyone is getting the text, regardless of your location.

Question:  Has anyone had a text about 4G which began 'Get ready for O2 4G' rather than 'O2 4G is here'?

Answer:  Perhaps you should contact O2

Here's the theme: I direct a specific question at other O2 customers because I am interested in the responses of other O2 customers.  I deliberately haven't asked O2 customer services because I am interested in the responses of other O2 customers.  Since this is an O2 community forum I thought this might be a place to ask a question which is directed at other O2 customers.  None of the initial responses made any attempt to answer my specific question, and on at least one occasion it was clear that the user responding hadn't even taken the time to read my specific question, even though I tried to make it more specific as the discussion went on.  On at least one occasion I am told to direct my question to customer services, even though my question was to other O2 customers.  I personally consider this approach dismissive, because it persistently ignored the very specific question I was asking.

I accept completely that you may see this differently, and I imagine some people would think that I should be grateful for any response at all, even if it didn't answer my question.  I don't quite see it that way, but never mind.

Finally, a big thank you to @jonsie who did answer my question!

Al

Message 11 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

they tried to hard sell me on 4G when i renewed the other day but i decided to stay 3G because according to the map 4G isnt too good indoors in my area.

think i'll be waiting quite a while before i go onto 4G

also i cant really see the benefits of it with the tiny allowances given unless you pay loads.

Message 12 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the '02 is here' text and have set up my phone. Same as you, it isn't even available in my area, when that webpage clearly stated it was. Good effort o2.

Message 13 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have had the '02 is here' text and have set up my phone. Same as you, it isn't even available in my area, when that webpage clearly stated it was. Good effort o2.

Thanks for the update - it's helpful to know I'm not the only one!

Al

Message 14 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got this text too, and was told via Live Chat that I should only recieve that text if 4G is in my post code. Which it isn't. I foolishly upgraded to a 4G tariff and everything. Conned.

My 3G is garbage as it is, but I was hoping 4G would make my service actually, y'know, work. It's all been since I got this HTC One. My service has been awful. No signal. No 3G. I've had replacement SIMs and handsets. Nothing.

Only 16 months to go until I can sign up with EE... Sigh.

Message 15 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got this text too, and was told via Live Chat that I should only recieve that text if 4G is in my post code. Which it isn't. I foolishly upgraded to a 4G tariff and everything. Conned.

My 3G is garbage as it is, but I was hoping 4G would make my service actually, y'know, work. It's all been since I got this HTC One. My service has been awful. No signal. No 3G. I've had replacement SIMs and handsets. Nothing.

Only 16 months to go until I can sign up with EE... Sigh.

That's awful if they made you pay extra to get 4G when it's not in your area.  I haven't lost out at the moment as they have given me the bolt-on for free.  Hope you get some better signal soon!

Message 16 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All customers (current or potential) can check if they receive 4g at their locations http://status.o2.co.uk/
Many people have a 4g contract even if they don't get 4g at home as they can either a) travel to 4g locations or b) use the extra data allowances on 3g.
Finally, every 3g customer will be receiving 4g for no extra cost within the next month or two.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Finally, every 3g customer will be receiving 4g for no extra cost within the next month or two.
HI All
Is this more than just a rumour? Would be great and compete with Three.
My son says he got a free upgrade to 4G. Has a 5S on a basic refresh contract, but i was sceptical.
John

Message 18 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's what we have been told.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 20 of 26