cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G text said "O2 4G is here" but it isn't!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the 4G text saying:

O2: O2 4G is here. We're giving you access at no extra cost from 18 February.

After this date, visit http://s.o2.co.uk/got4G/qoMYRk to find out how to get set up so you can use 4G when out and about in 4G areas.

Check the My O2 app to keep track of your data.

Watch. Listen. Stream. All in glorious 4G. Terms apply. To stop texts, call 2220.

I clicked on the link and on that page it says:

How do I know if I'm in a 4G area? 

If your message from us said 'O2 4G is here' it means O2 4G coverage is available in the post code you registered with us. If your message said 'Get ready for O2 4G' then O2 4G isn't available in your postcode yet but you will still be able to use 4G when in a 4G coverage area. Keep using our coverage checker guide to know if you are in a 4G coverage area when out and about. 

So I concluded that 4G coverage is available in the postcode I registered with O2 (Exeter EX2).

I did the setup process and I now have "4G access" listed as a bolt on in My O2.

I don't have a 4G signal though...

To be honest, I wasn't expecting one, as Exeter is not on the 4G availability map, but it seems odd that the text said "O2 4G is here" implying that coverage is available.

Has anyone else had an "O2 4G is here" text in a non-4G area?

Cheers,
Al

Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
I can't remember the specific wording of my text and as yet there is no 4G available in my area.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have a 4g SIM card and 4g phone you will get the text and set up.

This is to make sure everyone will be in the service. You may not have it where you live but may commitments areas where it is available and thus enjoy the speeds.
Message 2 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If you have a 4g SIM card and 4g phone you will get the text and set up.

This is to make sure everyone will be in the service. You may not have it where you live but may commitments areas where it is available and thus enjoy the speeds.

Yes, I understand that and I am now set up, but the web page clearly says: "If your message from us said 'O2 4G is here' it means O2 4G coverage is available in the post code you registered with us. If your message said 'Get ready for O2 4G' then O2 4G isn't available in your postcode yet but you will still be able to use 4G when in a 4G coverage area."

My text said 'O2 4G is here' which, according to O2's own website means O2 4G coverage IS available.

The nearest 4G coverage to me is more than 100 miles away according to the map!

Anyway, my question still stands: Has anyone else had the 'O2 4G is here' text despite NOT being in a 4G coverage area?

Message 3 of 26

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyway, my question still stands: Has anyone else had the 'O2 4G is here' text despite NOT being in a 4G coverage area?

Yes, everyone is getting the text, regardless of your location.

You could easily travel with your mobile to a 4G location.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, everyone is getting the text, regardless of your location.

You could easily travel with your mobile to a 4G location.

Ah, but WHICH text is everyone getting?  The website implies that the text will either say 'O2 4G is here' or 'Get ready for O2 4G' depending whether O2 4G coverage is available at the postcode registered with O2.

So let me try a third way of phrasing my question:
Has anyone had a text about 4G which began 'Get ready for O2 4G' rather than 'O2 4G is here'?

I should be clear at this point that I don't have a particular axe to grind about this; I'm simply interested in why the text I received and the website it linked to both implied that O2 4G coverage is available in my area.

If it turns out that no-one has received a text which began 'Get ready for O2 4G' then it will be clear that the 'O2 4G is here' text was sent indiscriminately.  If, however, it transpires that some people received texts with the alternative message 'Get ready for O2 4G' then that would imply that some sort of decision procedure had been applied to choose which text customers received (albeit a possibly flawed procedure).

Thanks,
Al

Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a link to someone who did get the "Get ready for O2 4G" text:
http://www.avforums.com/threads/o2-4g.1857946/

Message 6 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps you should contact O2 officially and ask that very question as we are all customers here like you and don't have insider knowledge on o2's rollout plans and text plans.

E mail is https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help

Or private message Brad who started the 4G thread.
Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Perhaps you should contact O2 officially and ask that very question as we are all customers here like you and don't have insider knowledge on o2's rollout plans and text plans.

Or, since I was only interested in information from other customers, I could ask in the customer forums?

I was never looking for an official line on this - I was just interested in the situation. It doesn't matter to me that you and others don't know why I got the 'wrong' text, but I don't think that should stop me thinking or asking about it, do you?  All I got in answer to my questions about whether other customers had received particular text messages was dismissive responses that implied that I should just accept the situation and move on; it is ironic that this is the treatment I normally expect from O2 customer services.  I doubt very much that any other customer on these forums will reply to my questions now, for fear that they might be treated the same way.

Thanks for trying to help anyway,
Al

Message 8 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are looking for answers which is why I suggested you follow this up officially with O2 CS.

Their are running threads with lots of information within them.

I can't see anywhere in my replies that I've been dismissive.

Your wanting a specific answer related to your situation.

Who better than O2 CS to answer that.

Have a nice day.
Message 9 of 26

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
I can't remember the specific wording of my text and as yet there is no 4G available in my area.
Message 10 of 26