Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G, 4G Testing. O2, EE, 3

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Good Mornring, Afternoon or even Evening.

Some of you may know, but RootMetrics recently produced a survey that they have been conducting for the last few months and it showed us was the fasted and slowest etc.

So I thought I would have a go for testing the data speed of the networks.

So myself and my friend who at the time was very intrigued with what I was doing came with me in my car to where I did a total of 20 Data Tests using a Speedtest  app on the phones.

So what and how I did it:

• I only tested the Data speeds and not calls or text performance.
  • I only tested O2, EE (double speed data) and Three (Sorry Vodafone, but I have no PAYG 4G Sim Smiley Embarassed)
  • 3 Mobile Phones were used (iPhone 5s, iPhone 5C, Samsung Galaxy Ace 3)
  • The phones were all on the latest updates and all 4G capable, as were the Sims
  • Phones were all cleared down of all apps and the same app used for each test which was closed down and reopened on each test
  • 20 Tests were done at Random (Where it was safe to stop the car in a car park or lay-by)
  • The Tests were all done there and then with what the phones were showing on the network, so this could be GPRS, Edge, 3G or 4G.
  • No tests were modified or changed and the test was ran once, unless the app crashed to which I re ran the test again.
  • The tests were done in South Yorkshire and 1 in Derbyshire (just because I crossed over a Boundary)
  • Tests were not done in the City or Towns, All the tests were done in surrounding areas.
  • All Tests were done in the Car (So Outside)
  • A Picture was taken of every result so I didn’t miss anything.

Now I know people will be saying well the phones are not the same, well the Iphone 5s and 5c have the same Chip in for Network Frequencies, and the Galaxy Ace 3, again has Qualcomm 4G chip in that has speeds of 100ul and 50dl on 4G, which is nearest equivalent I could find. But I did however swap over the Sims just to check and the speeds were the same regardless of which Sim I put in the phone.

So IPhone 5s was o2, iPhone 5C was Three, Galaxy Ace 3 was EE.

Now please don’t shout at me and I wasn’t picking on any network and I don’t promote any Network as well or any apps,  also don’t work for any Network too, The test were all done at the times these were all given, Also I based the test either on 2 or more networks having the same 3G or 4G. I do have a complete list of results, but for the o2 Forum, I have removed them and just displayed comments in red.

Apologises as I didn’t change the frequency on EE to retest on 3G if the other 2 had 3G, I didn’t have the time and like I said I didn’t want to keep messing with the phones etc .

I hope everything makes sense, I know it’s not the most scientific of tests, but it was just done and the spur of the moment and done in a bit of fun.

I did enjoy the testing and it was certainly an eye opener,

Capture.JPG

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow well done. Your data allowance would have taken some hits running these tests. wink

I tested my own O2 4g and had 50mbps.

true.png

Message 2 of 9

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Thanks, got to be honest and say Ive hit 48Mbs on o2, but not the 50 mark yet. Challenge is on lol

You could say that, 6GB on the day between all 3 networks, lucky for me I have good Data allowances lol.

Im gonna do a few more testing in different areas over the next couple of weeks just to see what really are the speeds, But what you see is really what i got 🙂

I did manage to get 4G on 2 places in South Yorkshire on three which i was impressed with,

O2 4G was good, but I have to admit that when in the outer sticks, the dreaded gprs or E appeared 😞

EE 4G was vast i have to be honest, but in fairness they have had many more months before the others started.

I know my friend as well really go into it and was looking at the phone allot and really getting involved which was great.

So I will do more testing  🙂

Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well done Darren great informative post slight_smile
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's really great information @darrengf
Message 5 of 9

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Thanks all slight_smile

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
No problemo
Message 7 of 9

iar1980
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Would be interesting to see if speed tests are consistent between o2, Tesco, Lyca & giffgaff as they all use the same network. All are currently on 4g except giffgaff, who are due to make an announcement this week.

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 8 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's unlikely there will be consistency between o2 and the mvno's as they are buying bandwidth off o2. Depending on what is allocated combined with the number of users at the time will effect the speed. Consider also each providers TM policy.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 9