cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£1 data charge on pay as you go

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I have an O2 sim card for my 10 year old daughter, I want her to be able to send texts and make phone calls when necessary - but cannot find a single tariff that does not charge her £1 per day for data usage which she does not need - so £10 per month suddenly looks like £40 per month? Which is utterly absurd.  Is there a tariff that does not charge this? Or is it a complete waste of time being with PAYG on O2 these days - because if it is, I'm getting a tesco sim card for her.  Really hacked off with this, having lost £5 through this off her initial £10 top up - we are at mo leaving the phone turned off so it can't be taken out.  Can't manage to speak to anyone online as they are far too busy, and of course, being a phone company, there is no phone number to call them on .... I have three contract phones with O2, which are fine, but I don't really want her to have a contract phone ...

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to add.....

In iOS7 there are restrictions in settings to stop other people from changing settings in the iPhone ,but if Your not on this firmware then even a ten year old can find the data settings in the iPhone and turn it back on if they so wish.
Message 11 of 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
As it's an Iphone 3 I don't think it will be on iOS7.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
True.

Thought I'd read it as the OP had a iPhone 4 !

Just re read the original post.

Sorry OP.

No iOS7 availability for the 3GS.
Message 13 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have found the settings and disabled the data - thank you for that - I barely used the iphone for anything but texts/calls/music, so really had never navigated the system.  I also, eventually, managed to speak to an advisor on line, who has put no internet on that phone, so that they will not try to take the £1 per day (even if my 10 year old manages to change the settings back ... lol ... and she's far more likely to find it than I was!) - so that's all done.  Now she's just got to wait until I get paid so I can actually put some credit on there for her ...   Thank you all for your help slight_smile

Message 14 of 29

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Should be all good from now on slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 29

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Well done, you will be fine now. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 16 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Most welcome.

wink
Message 17 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a new phone and while setting up ang going through the numerous setup windows I was forced to go through before getting to use my phone I was billed £1 for data which I did not want also I cannot get hold of o2 surpport as all I get is the runaround in the FAQ section none of which adresses my problem why not just have an email address to contact and not a load of questions to get passed none of which help

Message 18 of 29

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
You can submit an email here https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help
but you should just turn data off on your phone.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just bought my first Smartphone on Pay&Go and the same thing has happened to me! How did you sort it? I want data only occasionally and would like the choice.

Message 20 of 29