cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£1 data charge on pay as you go

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I have an O2 sim card for my 10 year old daughter, I want her to be able to send texts and make phone calls when necessary - but cannot find a single tariff that does not charge her £1 per day for data usage which she does not need - so £10 per month suddenly looks like £40 per month? Which is utterly absurd.  Is there a tariff that does not charge this? Or is it a complete waste of time being with PAYG on O2 these days - because if it is, I'm getting a tesco sim card for her.  Really hacked off with this, having lost £5 through this off her initial £10 top up - we are at mo leaving the phone turned off so it can't be taken out.  Can't manage to speak to anyone online as they are far too busy, and of course, being a phone company, there is no phone number to call them on .... I have three contract phones with O2, which are fine, but I don't really want her to have a contract phone ...

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22946 Posts
  • 1024 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have just bought my first Smartphone on Pay&Go and the same thing has happened to me! How did you sort it? I want data only occasionally and would like the choice.

Turn your mobile data off in Settings. If you don't know how to do it, as it's a new phone you must have a User's Manual. Look in that to learn how to turn on and turn off your mobile data.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 21 of 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Turn off data on the phone, as said many times....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

this happend when starting up my new phone it charged me for things before I had had any chance to switch them off when phone was starting up

Message 23 of 29

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Well it is what smartphones are designed to do, after all.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 29

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

this happend when starting up my new phone it charged me for things before I had had any chance to switch them off when phone was starting up

If it didn't do that you would be here complaining that half the apps were showing out of date information.

Why get a smartphone and not use it properly?

We can stop it charging you if you ask us to help instead of just whinging.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 25 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

my point was the phone was still in first time start up mode and charged me for things without me consenting to it or having the option to turn them off what next pay for stuff before you put the simcard in

Message 26 of 29

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
But you can turn data off during the start up on most phones (there are some exceptions) but as we don't know what phone you have we can't tell you how to....

Currently using:
Message 27 of 29

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22946 Posts
  • 1024 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

my point was the phone was still in first time start up mode and charged me for things without me consenting to it or having the option to turn them off what next pay for stuff before you put the simcard in

You couldn't have been charged for anything if your sim card wasn't in the phone. How would they know who to charge?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 28 of 29

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
From another thread we know you have a Galaxy Y so just hold the power button for 1 second and deselect "mobile data" or pull down the notification bar and do the same.....

Currently using:
Message 29 of 29