O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 1: Joiner
neil0968

o2 coverage

For the last couple of days I have been having problems receiving text messages and calls live in the lake district just outside keswick in Cumbria Usually the signal is pretty good I have a Nokia C7.Never had any problems with the phone before . Have just done a O2 signal checker on O2 website and it says all's okay in this area.Any one else having similar problems in cumbria or for that matter in the Uk Cheers Neil

Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
claire88

Re: o2 coverage

I've had the same problem on the Wirral since Tuesday night, but the signal checker seems to be fine too. Was starting to think it was my phone but maybe it is o2's fault!
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 951
Solutions: 1,018

http://status.o2.co.uk will tell you if local issue
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
rich-es02

Re: o2 coverage in Keswick Cumbria

5 May 2012: My family's been having problems with O2 in Keswick since beginning April 2012. We actually have 6 TescoMobileSIM's, but of course Tesco is a ‘virtual’ Mobile OpCo and they use the O2 network, so that's why I'm posting these observations and comments to the O2 community. For most of the last 5 weeks we haven't been able to depend on our mobiles at all in Keswick, which makes a bit of a mockery of having them here. Whenever I've checked the O2 service status checker, it's reported misleadingly that the network is fine in our area (which it obviously isn't), but at the same time, occasionally, there's been a message indicating that planned maintenance is due in our area.

I've had at least 6 long conversations with Tesco Mobile Customer Care, who, while being polite, have not been able to be much help.

I've done some very thorough testing, using all 6 Tesco Mobile SIMS, 7 different mobile handsets (6 different models, 4 of which are 2G phones, and 2 are 2G & 3G devices), my second mobile (on Vodafone) and our home landline; as well as various other people's mobile and landline numbers.

In our experience, there seems to be more of a problem with receiving calls and sms on O2 (as compared to making calls out and sending sms, which hasn't been so problematical). The problems have nothing to do with signal strength (in so far as the phones’ displays can be showing 4 or 5 ‘bars’, but the phones, more often than not, won’t receive calls and sms.  

The latest (5 May 2012) info I’ve managed to extract from Tesco Mobile Customer Care, is that the last bit of planned maintenance on 1 May didn't resolve the problem, but there's due to be more maintenance on around 15 May.

It’s rather difficult nowadays to get information on the locations of cell phone masts, but the Customer Services person I spoke to today said that there’s only one O2 mast serving Keswick. That’s probably the one on the hillside above Springs Farm. If that’s correct, then presumably if that mast’s got problems, O2 service in the vicinity of Keswick will suffer.

Incidentally, AFAIK, that mast hosts antennae for several mobile operators (Vodafone,Orange, O2, Airwave etc). It’s worth noting that Vodafone customers were having a bad time in Keswick in mid 2011. Those issues were reported in the local press.

We do need a bit of consumer power to tackle these sorts of problems. As it is, of course, the operators’ initial stance involves denying any sorts of faults on their part … ‘maybe your handset needs replacing’, ‘perhaps you were in an area of low signal strength’ and other such feeble fob-offs are commonplace. Then, when they’re in a position where their faults are beyond doubt, as is the case in Keswick now, the operators conceal how many customers are having issues or have registered complaints. The Customer Services staff I’ve spoken with apparently have no access to aggregated information.

For consumers’ interests to be served better, matters like this, in general, will probably have to be raised with ofcom (if that’s the correct body), and maybe local MP’s. Although Keswick isn’t his constituency, Rory Stewart ought to be interested – ironically he was mentioned recently in the context of Threlkeld being involved in pioneering 4G trials!

Please use plain text.
rich-es02

Re: o2 coverage Keswick

Oh, surprise surprise, giffgaff community also has complaints about O2 (April 2012)(http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Ask-the-community-got-stuck/Loss-of-service-in-Keswick/td-p/37...

Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 951
Solutions: 1,018

very easy to get location of all o2 cell sites use the coverage checker here http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker ond the ofcom sitefinde will also show them http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

and the status page lists when works is going to be done http://status.o2.co.uk/

But only tescos can help you resolve the issue as they can talk to o2 to resolve the issue.

2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
frogladite

o2 mast in st leonards on sea TN38 postcode not working got no signal in my house no one can tell me when its going to be fixed been without phone for 4 days now
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
Owe2

I have similar ongoing problems here in Milton Keynes.

The coverage checker reports good service both indoors and out but that is simply not the case.

The main problem is only one mast serving this corner of MK. During peak traffic on the roads it's impossible to make or receive calls, leave it until say 8pm and you have half a chance.

One thing that helps slightly on a smart phone is to force it to use 2G only, this way it stops searching back and forth when encountering a fringe signal.

Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
Owe2

These coverage checkers are a bit misleading.

I speak from exeprience having tried them at different addresses over the years with all four networks.

Also worth noting is reception can vary througout the day if the mast becomes overloaded.

Please use plain text.
MH107

I have had the same trouble in keswick on all 3 of the o2 phones i have access to.

mainly during bank holiday weekends and the summer tourist season (which is half the year)

o2 have been absolutely incompetent in thier response and have pretty much told me to leave o2 - which I will be doing as soon as I can.

For everybodys information: from o2:

"The cell site that covers keswick is insufficient for the amount of users"

"it's not something we will be doing anything about any time soon"

thanks a bunch

HOPELESS - what am i paying for.... anybody??

Please use plain text.