cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Wifi Extra

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 have today launched wifi extra - whereby o2 users will connect to wifi if in range of over 11000 hotspots automatically without the need to log on via an app thus conserving data

http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a639577/o2s-wifi-extra-automatically-connects-customers-across-t...
Message 1 of 88
87 REPLIES 87

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Is anything truly secure these days? There are some incredibly clever people out there but you would have to be extremely unlucky to be targeted. 

I couldn't agree more, remember the O2 Broadband forum and the panics about poor wi-fi security?

I never heard of a single case of anyone having their wi-fi security breached.

The 'brains' target mainly those worth hacking...won't get much from me I'm afraid. 

Message 61 of 88

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

The 'brains' target mainly those worth hacking...won't get much from me I'm afraid. 

Not now they wont @jonsie.....your well has about run dry...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 62 of 88

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Not now they wont @jonsie.....your well has about run dry...:smileywink:

Yep, Mauy has hacked me slight_frown

Message 63 of 88

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:
Yep, Mauy has hacked me slight_frown

She's worth it though. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 64 of 88

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 65 of 88

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Jury still out.....LOL

I hope she doesn't read English very well........Horrified

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 66 of 88

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

A lot gets lost in translation,  both ways:smileywink:

A good thing or not? She can't hack the Community though. ....

Message 67 of 88

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just had an email from a Technical Operations Manager (I found an email address in their T&Cs).

There are currently 3000 hotspots which are enabled to offer the WiFi Extra service, with a further 2500 being added by the end of May. You can only be switched onto this service if WiFi will offer you a better internet experience than cellular is offering at the time (e.g a weak 2G/3G service). If you are in a 4G area, you will be left on cellular coverage. In other words, the service chooses you, not the other way around.

Currently, it is only available for iPhone users on pay monthly contracts. If I receive any more information, I'll keep you updated. 

Message 68 of 88

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 69 of 88

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not much of an update, but I had another email confirming that the FAQs section is accurately detailing all of the compatible handsets. And although it's only reiterating earlier advice, I notice that the FAQs now also include the following statement:

"O2 Wifi Extra is for O2 customers only. O2 Wifi Extra will intelligently manage your connection - you will only be connected to it if it will be faster than the available 3G or 4G signal. It is not available at every hotspot, and not all handsets are supported but over time this will improve. For more connection help, click here"

I was originally advised that currently only pay monthly customers have access to this service, and I'm still trying to get clarification on that question. I still don't know anyone who's actually used this service. Is it just me, or has it been overhyped?  Smiley Indifferent 

Message 70 of 88