Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Email Closure

airsgian
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know that the email service was closing and switched my account to another provider some time ago. However, I was still receiving mail though an incoming server until a couple of days ago. Since then I keep getting a 'connection time out' message.

I have always found in the past that it has been possible to receive mail from discontinued services by leaving the settings for the incoming server in place. Is this not the case with o2?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Once the server is disconnected any services will end.
O2's pop server was still connected so some users could still receive but if that has now gone it's the end.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Once the server is disconnected any services will end.
O2's pop server was still connected so some users could still receive but if that has now gone it's the end.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 3 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If you were in any way still relying on receiving mail at that address and hadn't informed whoever is still sending to you at that address of the closure, it's most likely too late now. Ample warning had been given of O2 closing its servers down.  

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

airsgian
  • 16 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

If you were in any way still relying on receiving mail at that address and hadn't informed whoever is still sending to you at that address of the closure, it's most likely too late now. Ample warning had been given of O2 closing its servers down.  

I had notified all important contacts about the changes, but that often is not enough. Several important contacts such as power companies, retailers and old friends do not act on the changes. So, it is useful to continue to have an incoming service running.

I think that I did mention that in the past, that I had continued to receive mail from discontinued services - technically I am not even sure how that works.

Message 5 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@airsgian Chances are that any mail sent to your O2 address will now bounce back to the sender. You will need to inform anyone who may still be sending to your O2 address by either mailing or calling them, particularly anyone who may be billing you for anything using that address. 

'O2 mail's not pinin'! 'It's passed on! It is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet it's maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life. It rests in peace! It's metabolic processes are now history! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, It's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-MAIL SERVER!!':smileywink: (credit to Monty Python)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122367 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

'O2 mail's not pinin'! 'It's passed on! It is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet it's maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life. It rests in peace! It's metabolic processes are now history! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, It's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-MAIL SERVER!!':smileywink: (credit to Monty Python)

Bit late to this party...but that made me laugh @Bambino LOL (Credit also to the dead parrot) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7