cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't top up o2 sim (in dual sim 'phone)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks in advance for any help. I bought a O2 payg sim yesterday to go in a Lumia 640 as a backup 2nd sim. I can't top the sim up. The website gives an error 500 (internal server error) and 4444 fails telling me to try an O2 shop - nearest is ~30 miles away. I've spent hours with O2 gurus resetting passwords, clicking on verification emails for the registration account and all looksok with that. Last attempt tonight was to ring the the complaint landline. 11 minutes later the bloke that answered suggested that payg O2 sims don't work in dual sim 'phones. When I asked how the sim knew it was in a dual sim 'phone he said he'd go and check, put on the Musak and for reasons unknown the call was killed a minute later. I only wanted an O2 sim because I was told there was a free app to use the broadband for calls if the cell signal was absent - very rural round here, so that happens a lot. Oh, I've tried 3 browsers and several valid credit cards so I think it's O2 not me. Any ideas welcome - I don't want another hour long live chat as my brain has exploded! TIA.

Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Maybe he would be better off forgetting O2 if you can't do the simplest of things like topping up!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23046 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I doubt that it's because the phone is dual sim, but you can't use the TuGo app on Pay & Go anyway.

The Three network has a similar app called Three In Touch, but I don't know if that app works on Pay & Go either. You'd have to contact Three and ask.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 22

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

There has been many problems topping up. It was suggested at one point by O2 that the first top up had to be done via voucher but the top up system has supposedly been fixed....apparently not. You can get a voucher at most grocery or supermarket outlets or top up at the ATM.

Sadly, please be aware the app for using wifi for calling (TuGo) is only available for contract and business customers. In light of this, you may want to rethink your plans to use O2.

Message 3 of 22

MI5
  • 144147 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
O2 sims work fine in dual sim phones - I have 3 of them and all work great.
Get a voucher to top up and it should be OK on line after that.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 22

Bambino
  • 23046 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@MI5 The OP wanted to use his P&G sim with Tugo.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 22

MI5
  • 144147 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Yes I am aware of that and as you have already pointed out, it won't work.
I was answering other parts of the multiple questions posted in the op.
But thanks for highlighting it again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 22

Bambino
  • 23046 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Splendid wink

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 22

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Maybe he would be better off forgetting O2 if you can't do the simplest of things like topping up!

Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the replies. I'll bin the sim as suggested and maybe look into Three. As it happens the Lumia seems to have a strong signal so far on the primary (Voda) sim so the lack of signal before looks to be down to the previous 'phone (now bricked Nexus 5) rather than reception strength.

Message 9 of 22

Bambino
  • 23046 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous Just out of curiosity, how did you brick your Nexus 5. I still use mine, and I'm hesitant to give it up, although I think I'm on the verge of doing so. What happened to yours?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 22