Did you mean: 

Why is the 3G coverage so bad with O2.

IanHarrison
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I work at least 2 days a week in the east side of Norwich and can never get a 3G signal.  I think once a few weeks ago I got one bar.  I checked the O2 checker and it says that Norwich is fine, I even phoned O2 and they said no 3G problems.  I was asked to change the setting the automaticaly detec carrier to manually selecting O2.  It has made no difference what so ever.

I have friends on Orange, Vodafone and Three who have no problem what so ever with a 3G signal. 

Also noticed driving around the country I have huge areas with no 3G signal.  

Is it just that O2 have crap 3G coverage?

Thanks

Ian

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also found that even with near full signal on 3G there is no data avaliable, which I find very frustrating as paying for a service that I struggle to get any connection (even when not in sticks)..

Oh well another year to go on contract, looking forward to moving to a more reliable network.. I have a smart phone and wish to at least be able to get information when I need it (or at least 80% of the time)..

We know have 5G to look forward too, which unfortunately means they are most likely doing diddly squat to fix currect issues in 3G/4G network.. Which means for 99% of the people outside London, Birmingham we are in trouble!

Message 21 of 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The issue is congestion on the 3g infrastructure which is supposedly being fixed by upgrading the fibre backhaul.
It shouldn't have any effect in 4g areas and the signal should still be usable - O2 have committed to all their upgrades by the end of 2017 (if you can wait that long ;))
Don't worry about 5g too much yet as it is at least 8-9 years away from introduction....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just want to add my opinion to this matter. I have been a bit disappointed with the pace of increasing the 3g network for years. However on my last upgrade I thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt and accepted a good offer to stay with O2. I was told by the sales assistant that 4G would be coming to my area March 2014. So I was offered a 4G contract in the deal. Given the information, I thought I would accept.

This was December 2013. I still have another 14 months to go on the contract and I can't wait to leave O2. I am absolutely fed up with the coverage. So disappointing. Still very poor 3G/H+ coverage. Those who say it is fine, you must be in one of the few privileged areas that has a decent signal. Don't get me wrong it can be good in a few areas but compared to other networks, it's out of date. As for 4G, what a lie. Still waiting for it in my area after being mis-sold it. Went to Blackpool on the weekend. Other people I were with had 4G on EE and 3. As for mine. Edge! Or a weak 3G at best.

It's about time they stopped assuming that it is the settings or problems with customers phones. Or looking at inaccurate data in front of their screens and listen to their customers.
Message 23 of 28

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's a sad fact that no one in customer service or O2 stores have a clue as to what areas will be upgraded or when and I would be very sceptical about claims at a point of sale. More false promises which we hear so much about.

Message 24 of 28

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Totally agree - I'm hanging on in hope but I have been out all day and suffered from hopeless 3g all over 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 25 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem but not just in one place the 3g is shocking and the sigal to, i work all over the west of engalnd and there is not many places that i get a good signal of 3g i have compained many times but just fobed off. now i contacted  Citizens Advice and have told me to speck to ofcom as im paying for a service im not getting half the time.

Ofcom (Office of Communications)
Contact Centre 
Riverside House 
2A Southwark Bridge Road 
London 
SE1 9HA
Tel: 0300 123 3333 and 020 7981 3040
Textphone: 020 7981 3043
Fax: 020 7981 3333 

Message 26 of 28

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You need to go through the official o2 complaints process and reach deadlock before the ombudsman will look at your case. Ofcom don't respond to individual customers http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Currently using:
Message 27 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
As mentioned above, you need to raise an official complaint (not via customer service) and await o2's "final response" (this is what it is officially called).

To send a complaint you can do this by email at complaintreviewservice@o2.com providing all the details of your complaint.

You will get an automated response with 24 hours confirming receipt then a response within 28 days (currently averaging around 12 days).

If you don't accept o2's final response OR if you don't get a response within 8 weeks you can then take your case to the Ombudsman Service.

You can refer your case to OFCOM however they will only acknowledge your correspondence. They will only get involved if a sufficient number of complaints are received about a specific issue and will then only deal with o2. They will not deal with the public.
Message 28 of 28