cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card.

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Note: please refer to an updated version of this guide in our How-to Guides section, here. Smiley Happy

If you want to use your O2 contract or PAYG phone with a SIM from another network, ie a local SIM when on holiday, you will need to release the network lock.

If you have a monthly contract it is free to get your phone unlocked.

Any phone can be unlocked (with the exception of the iPhone immediately after launch - see website for details of when these can be unlocked).

All you need to do is submit this form https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form taking care to enter the correct details. Pay attention in particular to the security question as this is the most common cause of failure.

PAYG phones need to have been on the network for at least 12 months (iPhone is the exception here again which is anytime subject to the above restriction for new models).

There is a £15 unlocking fee on PAYG and the phone needs to be registered on the O2 network, so, if you have just purchased a phone off eBay for example, insert a PAYG SIM and top up £20. Make a few calls to register the phone and ensure you have at least £15 credit remaining then fill out the form as above https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Business users can also submit the form for a free unlock.

Once the form is submitted it can take upto 28 days to receive the unlock code but it is usually much quicker - Typically within 7 days.

You will receive the code with instructions on how to complete the process with your specific handset, but in general, you insert a non O2 SIM card and enter the code when prompted.

Note: Unlocking the phone does not relieve you of any contractual obligations. You still need to complete your minimum term as agreed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 93
92 REPLIES 92

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Yes follow @adamtemp64's advice @Anonymous I misread your post. My apologies ....:smileysad:

*Note to self...must stop skim reading* wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 41 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the speedy responses, guys!

The only spanner in the works I guess is that I no longer have that tesco sim (I believe my father has that number now in his phone).

Seeing as it can take up to 28 days to unlock (although realistically probably 7) I'm not sure if he'd be too happy with me keeping his number for so long...

is another option to buy a new tesco PAYG sim and just pay £10 for the unlock? (Hopefully the 12 month thing won't apply because it's an iPhone?).

Thanks again!

Message 42 of 93

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Unfortunatly only the original network can do the unlock as explained here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201328

But have you tried a non o2, tesco or giffgaff network sim to see if is actually locked?

But just talk to tescos they should be able to advise you on the correct action required

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 43 of 93

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I agree with Adam.

Before you go to all this trouble which may be unnecessary...try a another network sim in the phone to see if it is actually locked...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 44 of 93

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
It will be locked to Tesco so your only option is to talk to Tesco and ask them what they require you to do to get it unlocked.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 45 of 93

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I would think you would at least have to purchase a tesco sim and use the phone again on Tesco for a while.

Message 46 of 93

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Details here from Tesco website http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1080-getting-started/1822-pay-monthly/unlock-your-tesco-...

Currently using:
Message 47 of 93

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I guess worst case you could get it unlocked at your local phone repair shop / market stall. However, this could invalidate any warranty left on the device.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 48 of 93

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Why would you when Tesco will unlock for free?

Currently using:
Message 49 of 93

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Well, as I said 'Worst Case'

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 50 of 93