cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card.

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143434 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Note: please refer to an updated version of this guide in our How-to Guides section, here. Smiley Happy

If you want to use your O2 contract or PAYG phone with a SIM from another network, ie a local SIM when on holiday, you will need to release the network lock.

If you have a monthly contract it is free to get your phone unlocked.

Any phone can be unlocked (with the exception of the iPhone immediately after launch - see website for details of when these can be unlocked).

All you need to do is submit this form https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form taking care to enter the correct details. Pay attention in particular to the security question as this is the most common cause of failure.

PAYG phones need to have been on the network for at least 12 months (iPhone is the exception here again which is anytime subject to the above restriction for new models).

There is a £15 unlocking fee on PAYG and the phone needs to be registered on the O2 network, so, if you have just purchased a phone off eBay for example, insert a PAYG SIM and top up £20. Make a few calls to register the phone and ensure you have at least £15 credit remaining then fill out the form as above https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Business users can also submit the form for a free unlock.

Once the form is submitted it can take upto 28 days to receive the unlock code but it is usually much quicker - Typically within 7 days.

You will receive the code with instructions on how to complete the process with your specific handset, but in general, you insert a non O2 SIM card and enter the code when prompted.

Note: Unlocking the phone does not relieve you of any contractual obligations. You still need to complete your minimum term as agreed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 93
92 REPLIES 92

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! First I would like to say thank you for this guide and all the other bits of advice about unlocking spread on this forum.

I was wondering if you could answer two questions for me. I have an old iPhone 5 that used to belong to my father on an O2 business contract. A year ago he updated to an iPhone 6 and kept his number, so the sim within the iPhone 5 became inactive. I was going to put a new Pay as you go sim inside the 5 and pay the £15 fee, however I read in another forum post that by borrowing another persons Monthly sim and making a few chargable calls to link that number to the iPhones imei number, I can unlock for free. I have done this with my Mum's business sim, filled in the online form and I am waiting the 7-28 days for a reply. I am just wondering if it is possible to now move my Mum's sim back to her iPhone 6, or do I need to leave it in the iPhone 5 for a bit longer?

Also, I was wondering if a giffgaff sim would count as non-O2 for finishing the unlock, or should I get another sim?

Thanks in advance!

Message 21 of 93

MI5
  • 143434 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Answered on your other thread and no you can't use a giffgaff sim. It had to be a different network completely.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 22 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a feeling as soon as I saw that giffgaff can be used on locked O2 mobiles, but thought it would be worth an ask. Thanks again and sorry for the multiple posts!

Message 23 of 93

jonsie
  • 92918 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a feeling as soon as I saw that giffgaff can be used on locked O2 mobiles, but thought it would be worth an ask. Thanks again and sorry for the multiple posts!

No problem, your post will be seen and will always ask you to refer to your first thread. ...☺

Message 24 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Does anyone know if I can unlock the phone with a non-UK sim abroad? I've just sent the unlocking form to O2 but I'm going abroad on Sunday and doubt they will have replied by then.

I'm really annoyed because I would have sorted this out ages ago but the advisor in the o2 store told me the phone is locked for 2 years which is clearly not true!

Message 25 of 93

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous No sorry...you can't unlock the phone with a non UK sim...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 93

MI5
  • 143434 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Tbh it shouldn't matter what sim you use once the unlock code has been given to you as long as it's not one of the O2 networks.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 93

jonsie
  • 92918 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You will have no problem as long as you have the code. The phone will ask for the code for any non o2 sim.

Message 28 of 93

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Lets hope the op has the code by tomorrow then. I doubt it will happen personally being the weekend ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

The instructions I have from O2 (along with the unlocking code) for my Sony Experia C1905 are: 

"Unlatching a Sony Ericsson device :

Start the device with the O2 SIM in the device.

Then you will need to access the unlock menu press left ** left on the keypad.

This will bring  you into the unlock menu where you need to select the locked padlock then enter the NLCK4U code."

I'm baffled by the third line instruction to access the 'unlock menu'.  Obviously, the ** entry is not a problem, but does anyone have any idea what is meant by the two references to 'left', please?

Message 30 of 93